Speedbrake (Flap) indication on EFIS

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
VA Long Ez

Speedbrake (Flap) indication on EFIS

Post by VA Long Ez »

I recently installed an electric speed brake on a LongEZ using a Servo City actuator. Other than the power/ground pair, it has 3 wires (2 potentiometer reference and 1 potentiometer wiper (position signal). Is there a way to connect these wires to the EFIS Lite (with an extender), to get the speed brake position? It will only be up or down.

I also would like to zero out the airspeed tape, but can't find where to do that. I've searched the manual an it only references that you should do this once a year. I've looked through the different screens, but can't find where to do it.

Thanks,

Chris
adamoconnor

Re: Speedbrake (Flap) indication on EFIS

Post by adamoconnor »

You could make a "gauge" in the screen designer that has this - you could also possibly use the digital input function to your advantage here. Assuming "Up" is 12V and "down" is 0V, you can have a screen design indicator that turns on and off with the digital input on the extender as an indicator light.

To zero the ASI go to Menu -> System Setup Menu -> Internal and Extender Sensor Setup -> Zero ASI and AOA Sensors
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
Sputnik

Re: Speedbrake (Flap) indication on EFIS

Post by Sputnik »

You can certainly use those potentiometer outputs as an analog input, for which you can then set a limit for warning, etc.
I’m jealous. My actuator doesn’t have pot inputs; I just rigged a micro switch to tell me it’s closed on the EFIS.

The flap graphic element works well for the landing brake, either as a digital (on/off) input, or as an analog one.