AOA tone generator

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: AOA tone generator

Post by rainier »

No sorry - the sim can't play these tones - it is currently only capable of playing back WAV audio files you find in the WAV folder (basically the sounds that are then included in the Sounds.ESD file that goes into the EFIS).
cheeselion

Post by cheeselion »

Got it, thanks Rainier! I'll stop trying to debug sim audio then :D
technerdian

Post by technerdian »

I'm attempting to relate the OnSpeed tones to the MGL AoA and I'm wondering if anyone can add to the fund of knowledge:

1. The vertical stripped AoA widget does not seem to work in the MX1 simulator. Changing the AOA differential pressure in the simulation control has zero effect. Am I missing something.

2. The analog AOA (round dial) runs values from 0 to 180. How do these relate to the 0-18.5 steps in the tone file, is it linear?

3. When I run the calibration to set the green-yellow and yellow-red locations on the widget, does that have an effect on the values passed to the tone generator?

Where I'm headed with this is to have the AoA tones work as per the Onspeed project and I would like to have a couple of markers like these on the AoA display:
AoA Example.png
AoA Example.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
Thanks,

Gareth.
1948 Cessna 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN S18513 - Dublin, Ireland
MGL iEFIS MX1 - A16, N16, V16, Blaze AHRS4 x 2, RDAC
https://www.taildragger.eu/
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

Regarding the AoA tones on the previous page; I saved the AoA table as instructed and am very pleased to report it works very well :D I recalibrated the AoA zones, just in case, but it all worked as it should and produced nice 'beeps' etc instead of the previous vario-type 'warble'. Much more usable and lead to some < 100m landings during some short field practice.
cheeselion

Post by cheeselion »

Agh, you're teasing me Paul! This is making me want to bring forward an iEFIS installation from "when I get a chance" to "as soon as practicable" :D

Great to hear it worked. I compared the tone logic against the onspeed source code and it did seem sound. So you had a solid tone over the fence?
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

A solid tone over the fence, a bit of beeping as I got closer to the runway, some more urgent beeping as just before I crossed the end and then a satisfying 'loads of stalling beeping' just at touchdown :D

Yes, it all works very well in the real thing.
technerdian

Post by technerdian »

PaulSS wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:41 pm A solid tone over the fence, a bit of beeping as I got closer to the runway, some more urgent beeping as just before I crossed the end and then a satisfying 'loads of stalling beeping' just at touchdown :D

Yes, it all works very well in the real thing.
Hey Paul,

That's fantastic! Thanks for the feedback.

Gareth.
hpmicrowave

Post by hpmicrowave »

YPaul, can you post a video with sound of your AOA tones in action? (you Tube?)

Thanks
Cecil
technerdian

Post by technerdian »

hpmicrowave wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:37 am YPaul, can you post a video with sound of your AOA tones in action? (you Tube?)

Thanks
Cecil
And if you can ... I'd love to see and hear how it works through actual stalls at altitude. #greedy :D
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

I will endeavour to do so but I don't know when it will happen given (a)a lack of GoPro or similar and (b)the fantastic British weather :roll: