LH side headsets don't hear radio transmission V16

The expanding range of MGL's innovative RF avionics
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
nreese

LH side headsets don't hear radio transmission V16

Post by nreese »

Hi all,

Vega V16 in a Foxbat A22LS

When I transmit from the RH seat, the person in the LH seat cannot hear the radio transmission. Intercom works fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Nick
Australia
rainier
Site Admin

Re: LH side headsets don't hear radio transmission V16

Post by rainier »

The V16 only has a single audio output that is normally connected to both headsets.
So if you hear your sidetone during TX but your pax does not - something external to the V16 is disconnecting the pax headset during transmission.

This can be an external intercom system if you are using that or something as simple as your PTT switch having a second contact to interrupt audio to the pax headset.

Rainier
paulvs

Post by paulvs »

I had a similar issue, also in a Foxbat coincidentally, but I don't think the aircraft type is significant.
The "fix" was to reduce the microphone gain for the transmitting headset, from 0 dB to -3 dB. Now, both seats can hear the outgoing transmission when PTT is pressed.
Building Vans RV-6A and flying Aeroprakt A-22 with V16/Vega. Still thinking about avionics for the RV.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Ah, now I get what is meant.

That's perhaps the most common result of incorrect microphone gain setting. In this case your pax is not going to hear the transmission (sidetone) or it is very soft - but neither does the pilot.

If this happens - it simply means your mic gain is to high. In other words the mics come through too loud. When you transmit - mic gain has little effect as the V16 has a very effective digital voice manipulation that makes sure the TX carrier is perfectly modulated (it's not AGC in the common sense but more similar to a dynamic compressor).
Bottom line - you are listening to the outgoing TX at a fixed level - you change that by adjusting your volume. In other words - press PTT and talk - adjust volume until sidetone is good. Now release and the intercom is too loud. So reduce the mic gain until sidetone and intercom are about the same loudness.