HUD

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
BushCatDon

HUD

Post by BushCatDon »

Has anyone got or know of a Heads Up Display Indicator which will work with the AOA in the MX1 EFIS?

Thanks

Don
hpmicrowave

Re: HUD

Post by hpmicrowave »

I'm working on a small AOA HUD display it with our FlyOnSpeed AOA Design Team. Picture below shows a our Small HUD (~2.5" x 2.5") on my RV8 Dash Board, The display is a M5 Stack ESP32 Arduino (~$30) with our Custom Software, our custom RS232/12VDC Backside Interface, and our Dash Board Mounting Bracket. When all done I hope to have these available for $50 to $60. It Currently can display using Dynon & Garmin G3x Serial Data Input, but were working on a MGL Data input. On my Dash I have it connected to our FlyOnSpeed,org Gen2 AOA system (checkout our Web Site). We have 3 programmed graphic displays first shows AOA Graphic, Slip/Skid and percent lift (0-99), 2nd shows AOA graphic and additional aircraft data (IAS & G's), 3rd has a Attitude Display (& Digital Readout) plus IAS, Alt, Slip/Skid Ball,G's, AOA % Lift. Press Center button on the M5 to change Mode, Left & Right Buttons adjust Display Brightness. We also have designed a small Hood that fits over the Display to help with Glare. Works OK.

Cecil

Youtube Video below was from out First test flight with the M5 Display

https://youtu.be/SMOuX0fmLGU

M5 With Energy Display AOA Graphics, this also includes Slip/Skid Ball, Indicated Airspeed Read out, G's, and % Lift
M5 With Energy Display AOA Graphics, this also includes Slip/Skid Ball, Indicated Airspeed Read out, G's, and % Lift
IMG_3680.jpg (137.98 KiB) Viewed 5402 times
Attachments
Attitude Display with M5 Control Buttons & 3D Printed Dash Bracket
Attitude Display with M5 Control Buttons & 3D Printed Dash Bracket
AOA HUD2.jpg (122.62 KiB) Viewed 5402 times
My RV8 Panel with AOA HUD Display on Dash
My RV8 Panel with AOA HUD Display on Dash
Panel_AOA HUD V900.jpg (224.74 KiB) Viewed 5402 times
technerdian

Post by technerdian »

hpmicrowave wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:49 pm I'm working on a small AOA HUD display it with our FlyOnSpeed AOA Design Team. Picture below shows a our Small HUD (~2.5" x 2.5") on my RV8 Dash Board, The display is a M5 Stack ESP32 Arduino (~$30) with our Custom Software, our custom RS232/12VDC Backside Interface, and our Dash Board Mounting Bracket ... It Currently can display using Dynon & Garmin G3x Serial Data Input, but were working on a MGL Data input.
Hey Cecil,

Is this different from the EFIS to HUD project? https://github.com/flyonspeed/efis_to_hud

I'm working on configuring the standard MGL tone generator with OnSpeed tones and separately mark Onspeed and Max L/D on a custom screen using the existing MGL AoA widget. The M5 AOA with the donut seems like a sensible next project to go on top of the glare shield using a feed from the iEFIS MX1.

Gareth.
1948 Cessna 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN S18513 - Dublin, Ireland
MGL iEFIS MX1 - A16, N16, V16, Blaze AHRS4 x 2, RDAC
https://www.taildragger.eu/
hpmicrowave

Post by hpmicrowave »

Yes, this is HUD project #2, HUD #1--> the efis_to_hud to HUD project still 100% exists, just has slowed down, This HUD #2 was created to provide a Cheap & Simple HUD directly focused on our On-Speed project. HUD #1 has been installed in several aircraft and has good reviews. Its just a lot more complicated to install & integrate.

Cecil
hpmicrowave

Re: HUD Project Update

Post by hpmicrowave »

My son and I have been adding some interesting functionality to our HUD project now with the addition of several DOGFIGHT BFM modes. I completed some testing this week with both Video Camera/DVR fixes and LCOS fixes. Primary interface is with my MGL EFIS and we use ADSB between own ship and wingman to provide ranging and have a Gun Funnel mode for unranged practice BFM. LCOS graphic display is based off of some digital HUDs we are familiar with the range ring active inside of 9000 feet and closer. The ADSB function filters out all but the closest ADSB tgt and provides ranging to the HUD LCOS along with Tgt N-Number and other info for display on the HUD. Currently there are 4 Dogfight Modes in the software, 1 LCOS and 3 GUNFUNNEL (unranged tgt) modes selectable for wing spans of 25/30/&35 feet. HUD functions are controlled by a 10 Key pad just below the HUD with a number of functions changed through multikey presses on that function key. It's pretty clear over time I'll need to expand my HOTAS switch functions and not just use a keypad. The attached pictures are screen shots from my latest test flight Gun Camera Video. I'm using a micro video camera designed for the FPV Drone Racing world with a micro telephoto lens and the camera is mounted inside the HUD and Pilot FOV, the camera is connected to a 4 hour micro HDMI DVR that works great. Camera has a ND32 filter to help get rid of the Prop Blur. Still lots of little software issues and calibration test flights ahead but I wanted to share the progress with those that may still be interested in a HUD for their RV. You will notice that this awesome little HUD is still clearly visible on this bright sunny day even when flying directly info the sun as is shown in the Grayish Video shot (heading 113degs). You will notice some blurring in the video's caused by camera vibration, not a HUD issue, just the camera, a significant improvement to what it was at first but still annoying (prop has been balanced). I'll be giving a Forum at Oshkosh on our DIY HUD project progress and will include some of my HUD gun camera video. Anyone wanting to get involved, install a HUD in their aircraft, or help out in the project is welcome to contact me.

More information available at https://www.flyonspeed.org/hud
Attachments
HUD_Camera Small.jpg
HUD_Camera Small.jpg (200.65 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
Last edited by hpmicrowave on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hpmicrowave

Re: HUD Update Pics

Post by hpmicrowave »

Some additional pictures of the basic HUD display and the new HUD BFM Modes for Fun Flying with a cooperative wingman
Attachments
BFM Funnel Mode
BFM Funnel Mode
28Jun23_Gregg_v4_C_smaller.png (179.18 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
Basic HUD Display
Basic HUD Display
28Jun23_Gregg_v8_smallest.png (199 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
BFM LCOS Mode
BFM LCOS Mode
28Jun23_Gregg_v2A_smaller.png (165.23 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
hpmicrowave

RV8 MFL EFIS with HUD and M5 AOA Indicator