enigma repair

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
funflyingguy

enigma repair

Post by funflyingguy »

hi all,

new member here.

i just bought a sonex built in 2012, with the enigma in it. it worked great for about 3 weeks. then 3 days ago, i got the message couldnt read the SD card. i rebooted and got the same error. the card seemed to be dislodged, so i pushed it in slightly. it then fell out the back and down into the rear of the enigma case. so now no GPS details, etc. the following day, i lost the attitude info and the slip indicator. the rest of the display seems intact.

does anyone know of a person who can fix an enigma? :(

i appreciate any guidance you can offer.

N485PB / sonex #1010 / jim mcvey
funflyingguy

Re: enigma repair

Post by funflyingguy »

update: so i got up behind the enigma to find one of the airtalk RCA connectors had pulled part way out. pushing it back in took care of the attitude display and the slip indicator display. they now work again.

i then removed the enigma, took it apart, and removed the SD card, several small broken plastic pieces and a very small spring. tried sliding the SD card back in, but nothing there to hold it in position. so i copied all 44 SD card files to my PC hard drive. the SD card is fully readable and apparently not the issue. so i wrapped some electrical tape on the non contact end of the SD card to keep it from sliding in too far into the enigma.

i then put the enigma back into my sonex, pushed in the SD card and got the same error, 'SD card read error'. apparently the reader has gone bad. sure would appreciate any advice or direction to someone who can fix this.
.... jim
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

These card connectors can be obtained from places such as digikey and are easy to replace on the Enigma. Any place that can repair things like mobile phones or other electronic devices should be able to do this. Note that the connector is located on a vertical PCB and this PCB is soldered onto the main PCB. Inspect the solder joints here for breakage. It is quite possible if you press the SD card in hard to actually lift the solder pads off the PCB and break the tracks that join to these pads. It is easy to repair if you can wield a soldering iron. I suspect this may have happened based on your description of "fattening" the card to keep it in place - this may cause the breakage as now you need force to insert the card.
funflyingguy

Post by funflyingguy »

hi, and thanks, rainier.....

that helps; i'll give it a try.

just to clarify, although i doubt it changes your advice; i wrapped just enough tape around the end of the SD card to keep it from falling into the enigma. its pretty loose now when pushing it into the SD slot.

thank you ....... jim
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

Hi,

This may help you, it's about my voyager EFIS, but it could help you with some background information on fixing the SD card issue.

https://www.mglavionics.co.za/phpBB3/vi ... ?f=3&t=262

Cheers
JimJab
Last edited by JimJab on Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Older MGL units
funflyingguy

Post by funflyingguy »

helpful stuff. thank you!

... jim
funflyingguy

Post by funflyingguy »

hi all,

thanks for the guidance with this. i found a local iphone repair store who was able to order and install the broken SD card holder. i got it back yesterday evening. i hope to go to the plane today to at least re-install the enigma, and if time permits, test it out. appreciate the support...

funflyingguy / jim