Converting a GTX-327 from Parallel to Serial Altitude Encoding

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
christoph.glomski

Converting a GTX-327 from Parallel to Serial Altitude Encoding

Post by christoph.glomski »

Hello,

I decided to join the 21st Century and change the altitude encoding inputs to my Garmin GTX-327 transponder from parallel to serial, driven by my Efis Xtreme. So far so good. Garmin supports the serial input, now i have to connect it now. At first, does somebody has experience with this issue? I found a description for Dydnon D-6, there are some differences with wiring, but finally it works.

After i readed the manual of the MGL Efis, i have question regirding the data output. In the altitude setup i can switch on / of the serial output. But witch port / should i connect to Garmin? Is it Pin 5 (RS232 Port 2 Transmit), or Pin 7 (RS232 Port 1 Transmit)? Wchich of them is sending the altitude signal?

Greetings
Krzysztof
hpmicrowave

Re: Converting a GTX-327 from Parallel to Serial Altitude Encoding

Post by hpmicrowave »

Did you get your question answered? If not ill send you my GTX-327 wiring diagram!

Cecil
christoph.glomski

Hi, I just see that my question may have been misunderstood. I have the operating instructions for the GTX 327. I have to feed pin 19 with serial altitude data.

Now the question is which of the two outputs on the Xtreme Efis delivers me the altitude data. Is that pin 7 or pin 5. I can do the rest.
Many greetings
christoph.glomski

Ok i was sloppy with reading the manual. It is described in deatil: "SERIAL OUTPUT: Select “ON” to enable the RS232 serial altitude output. This formatted serial RS232 message can be directly interfaced to various RS232 serial input transponders. If a parallel Gillham output is required then a CNV-ALT2 can be purchased from your MGL Avionics distributor to convert the RS232 output to a parallel Gillham output. The RS232 is output on PIN 7 (RS232 port 1 TXD).

Sorry
Christoph