GPS Antenna from Garmin.

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Kjelle69

GPS Antenna from Garmin.

Post by Kjelle69 »

I have an already installed Garmin "GA™ 26C Low-profile Remote Antenna" in my RV-4 and I have tested it together with the iEfis Explorer Lite and it seems to work fine.

Just want to make sure that this combination is ok and will not risk to harm the system in any way. The Garmin antenna is hard to find any detailed specs on but Garmin states that it "Runs on a lower voltage to minimize battery drain", whatever that means...

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/ga-26c

//Kjelle
rainier
Site Admin

Re: GPS Antenna from Garmin.

Post by rainier »

GPS antennas these days are generally designed to operate from a 3 volt supply and will be very tolerant to this - for example they work without hassle at 5 volts as well. While we cannot say anything about the Garmin antenna as we do not know it (so this is not to be taken as advice of any kind) the chances are that it should be OK but we certainly cannot guarantee it.
Kjelle69

Post by Kjelle69 »

Thanks for the swift answer. I have also contacted Garmin support to see if they have any more detailed specs other than "Low voltage antenna"
Should the antenna stop working I'll just change it, I was far more concerned in damaging the iEfis but I guess this wont be an issue then.

//Kjelle
Kjelle69

Post by Kjelle69 »

I've now got an answer from Garmin's Avionics Europe section.
This specific antenna operates at 3V.