iEFIS Explorer Lite Problem

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
diomond

iEFIS Explorer Lite Problem

Post by diomond »

Hello everyone i'm from Brazil, after i updated my iEFIS Explorer a blue screen started on the start-up, and temperature & altitude dosen't work well, i have to turn off and on several times to get ok, can anybody have some idea to solve the problem ?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 09.34.09.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 09.34.09.jpeg (150.75 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 09.32.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 09.32.26.jpeg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 08.05.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-13 at 08.05.13.jpeg (139.13 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
rainier
Site Admin

Re: iEFIS Explorer Lite Problem

Post by rainier »

Difficult to say what the cause is - I see your screens are heavy customized.
First thing to do would be to switch back to the built in screens and see if the issue goes away - if it does then have a careful look at your screen design - in particular if there are any items that draw outside of the screen boundaries. Check every item to see if it actually shows on the screen.
The drawing algorithms will clip most items to the screen boundaries (the image is an area in memory) but there are some where this is not done due to performance limitations. An out of bounds item can cause overwriting of system memory causing very subtle bugs.
Other than that - a bad internal SD card which holds your custom screens and all other data such as terrain, maps etc can cause weird behavior and crashes.
It is possible to rebuild the card or use a new one. I am actually just working on a rewrite of the cloning part of the G3 system to allow use with cards that do boot but are different to our standard disk format. The CPU requires a very specific disk format in order to find the MLO bootloader file on the card which gets the system going. Texas Instruments the maker of this chip does not document exactly what is needed but some early users of it figured out that a disk format tool from HP worked (nothing else did). I used that to reverse the format into the cloning part of the system but it only works with that format. Subsequently in later versions of Windows the HP format application no longer works - however there is a program called Rufus which is freely available that does also create a bootable format. You need to tell it to make a FreeDOS bootable card with a cluster size of 64K and leave everything else at default. After it has completed, delete all the files it created on the card and copy MLO and EXP3.bin. Then insert into EFIS and it will startup and create the folders which are empty. At this point you can install all the required files. However this does NOT clone as the format is not what the cloning expects.
This has now been amended as I am slowly with a lot of experimentation am figuring out what this chip is looking for.
I will release a new version tomorrow that includes the updated cloning software.

Unfortunately it is not possible to create an image file of the SD card that you can simply program with some of the disk image writers as the contents of two of the sectors are influenced by the number of sectors reported by the SD card hardware as available - and every card is different even same batch and same manufacturer. The card is actually fine and reads without issues but the CPU will refuse to boot. Very annoying actually.

A simple resource for the basic files (Terrain data etc) is here: www.mglavionics.co.za/DVD/iEFIS/index.php
This is the DVD we used to ship for our South African customers.