Lambda sensor 0-5V into IEFIS, possible?

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Dennis_I

Lambda sensor 0-5V into IEFIS, possible?

Post by Dennis_I »

Would like tu use my IEFIS to show Lambda values from my Bosch 4.9LSU sensor. Anyone who tried it? is it possible?
RV-8 Fastback
MGL Iefis Lite
PaulSS

Re: Lambda sensor 0-5V into IEFIS, possible?

Post by PaulSS »

Have you got an Extender attached to your iEFIS Lite? If so you may well be able to have it as an analogue input and then just design a gauge of some sort to show the value on the EFIS.

What are you measuring with this device? I thought Lambda was something to do with taper ratios on wings.

Edited to say: never mind; I see it measures the amount of Oxygen in the exhaust. I'd be interested to know what you'd do with that info :)
Dennis_I

Post by Dennis_I »

I dont have the extender, but i have AUX2 available on my RDAC..

Lambda or (AFR) is very good when tuning your mixture, you can set optimum mixtures all the time.

Built a turbo powered snowmobile engine once and used a lambda sensor for tuning, now i cant live whitout it :)
RV-8 Fastback
MGL Iefis Lite
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

I'm certainly no expert but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use the RDAC Aux. The RDAC XF manual says it's for extra temperature sensors but it can be used with NTC probes, as well as LM335, so I think your 0-5V sensor should be okay.

Once it is connected then it is a simple matter of doing a bit of screen designing for your oxygen levels. You could, for instance, use a bargraph display. All you then have to do is select the source of the data by clicking on the RDAC circle and then selecting Aux 2 from the drop down menu.

Best to get some expert advice on the position of the Aux 2 dip switches though. Those do pull up resistors etc and there be dragons as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully Rainier or Adam will be able to tell you exactly what to do in those cases. My RDAC is the CAN RDAC for the Rotax 912iS, so I got away lightly as the engine sends all the info over the CAN bus, meaning I didn't have to wire up thermocouples etc......hence my dip switch ignorance :D

912iS does all that fancy engine stuff for me; it even sorts out mixture etc to ensure maximum economy. I may have become a bit lazy as a result :lol:

(PS: I know you're not going to have a 912iS in an RV8. When flying those I am pretty good at remembering what all the other levers do ;) )
Simon K

Post by Simon K »

Hi Dennis
Can you give an update?
Very keen to do the same to my 914 turbo.
Sling 4
Challenger 10.3 Efis with auto pilot
Garmin GTR200 radio
Trig T21 Transponder
Stratux ADSB in
brs

Post by brs »

Bump

Any updates on this, I'd be interested in trying it out.
I run an O2 sensor on an IO-360 SDS setup and like how it eliminates guess work.