MGL Engima Stratomaster

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
bakerde36

MGL Engima Stratomaster

Post by bakerde36 »

My Engima has been restarting. Stays on perfect with engin off but once I start engine works ok for about 3 minutes then restarts and if I go WOT it restarts and freezes. So thinking it was a short I rewired the instrument and radac and replaced my volt regulator. It worked great for about 10 minutes warmed up plane went to wot worked for about 30 seconds and started restarting. I immediately looked at F2 and it showed 13.7 volts. I am thinking about running just the Engima to a independent battery tonight and see if it restarts. Any idea on how many amps the Engima pulls I didn't see it in the manual. My engine is 120hp Corvair. Thanks Densil
rainier
Site Admin

Re: MGL Engima Stratomaster

Post by rainier »

Have a look at airflow - you might be charging up an isolated piece of metal that then discharges into the airframe connected to ground.
Favorite items for this are engine radiators mounted on rubber fixtures (make sure they have a copper strap to connect them to ground).
But basically this can be anything - we even had an aircraft made from carbon fiber giving issues like this - one of the wings was isolated as the metal strap intended to connect the wing electrically to the fuselage had not been fastened. This one took something like a year to figure out as you can imagine - only noticed when the wing had to come off for some work.
bakerde36

Re: MGL Engima Stratomaster

Post by bakerde36 »

Thanks for the reply,
Gives me something to look for. Densil