iBox CAN Bus Failure?

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
CarlBeek

iBox CAN Bus Failure?

Post by CarlBeek »

Having recently taken ownership of a new plane with an iEFIS system, I decided to re-wire my entire airplane due to shoddy workmanship on the initial install. Having re-configured everything, the system seemed to be working well. :) All the devices communicated with one-another and overall everything seemed to be more robust.

After taking off and reaching ~500ft, I had what appears to be a complete failure of both of my CAN buses on my iBox and they remain failed. Specifically, I lost all data originating from the RDAC, SP6, and SP7. None of the devices communicate with the iBox any more, but ASI, Alt, RS232, etc remain working.

Considering the rewiring, I naturally assumed it was something that I had done, but after an extensive weekend of testing, I no longer think this to be the case. I think both CAN buses has failed within my iBox, my logic is as follows:

I have the RDAC on CAN1 and the SP6 & SP7 share CAN2, I have tried all combinations of these devices connected to the buses and the iBox doesn't seem to recognise any of the devices. All three flash their LED t about 1Hz. I made an adhoc wiring harness to eliminate the wiring as the issue and that did not resolve the issue. Taking a look at the data with an oscilloscope, the CAN signals seems normal (see photo attached).

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what could be wrong with my system?
IMG_20210627_113047.jpg
IMG_20210627_113047.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
CarlBeek

Re: iBox CAN Bus Failure?

Post by CarlBeek »

Indeed it turned out to be an iBox failure. Replacing the "CAN interface chips" didn't fix it so I ended up getting the entire processing PCB replaced.

Thanks to Olivier from Delta Omega (the French distributes) for sorting me out so quickly.