MX1 - Why and Why not? Share your insights

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
AlfDoj

MX1 - Why and Why not? Share your insights

Post by AlfDoj »

Dear All
I am from Denmark and have recently bought my first experimental - a Vans RV4.

As many I am looking in to a good solution for a glass cockpit that will not cost a billion.

I have looked at many brands and have landed on the MGL MX1 as it seems like the optimal solution with a 2 screen option where the second can take over if the first one drops out - as the bus is integrated. I like that.
However - the one-chip solution might be drawback? Or not?
What is your experience?

Questions:
Am I right that all I need is the RDAC and a compass outside the MX1 screens (back up battery)?
I am using TQ radio and the TQ transponder with ADSB class1 OUT - will the MX1 take that input?

Best regards Alf
brs

Re: MX1 - Why and Why not? Share your insights

Post by brs »

Greetings Alf,

Like any product MGL has it's strengths and weaknesses. As such, you'll need to assess how well these 'dove-tail' with your goals and abilities.

Strengths: (my opinion)
-very easy to install both wiring and physically. RDAC model makes wiring relatively minor chore (as far as panels are concerned).
-The ability to make custom displays is something that I've not seen by the likes of Dynon or Garmin. I like this.
-Very little power draw.

Weaknesses:
-Understanding all the various options and setup menus can be quite a chore.
-Firmware (MX1) may still have a few issues. If so, these things take time to be discovered and corrected.
-Learning how it all fits together and how to create custom screens takes a bit of time.

If you like to 'tinker' and experiment and exercise your creative side, if you have plenty of patience and are not in a hurry, then MGL might be a good fit. If you want to get it installed and never have to mess with it again then be sure to weigh your choices carefully. I really like the MX1 but to be honest after 8+ months I still have some issues and have been ground by the MX1 more than by any other system on my little sonex.

Why do you need want two screens?

Be sure to download the simulator and play with all the features.
AlfDoj

Post by AlfDoj »

Thank you for great input :-)

First of all I thought having 2 screens could make sense so basic instruments could be at one and the other can hold maps etc?
But if not required that will make my small pit easier to lay out :-)

I would be fine having a system like this and not pay much much more for Dynon etc. I am not in a hurry - so maybe the have merged the MX1 and the Lite when I get around ordering :-)
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

In my opinion the maps are not good enough to have a whole EFIS to themselves. In fact they are so lacklustre that I rarely even look at a map page. They are semi-okay for seeing where a route goes and to check the autopilot is following the route but not good enough for navigation. The presentation of nav data is also pretty poor. I think you'd be better off having the one EFIS and, in the remaining space, fit a Guardian Avionics flush mount for an iPad Mini. Get SkyDemon or EasyVFR 4 on the iPad and you'll be much better served with vector charts than trying to install some out-of-date raster chart that you've had to scan in yourself and match it all up.
brs

Post by brs »

PaulSS wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:43 pm In my opinion the maps are not good enough to have a whole EFIS to themselves. ...
Good point about the maps. I agree whole heartedly. The iPad Mini and flyQ is my favorite. Good enough to fly across the country on this alone.