servo overheating?

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
gd5362

servo overheating?

Post by gd5362 »

I have bank and pitch servos and only in the summer after a flight the pitch servo will not work. It has never failed during a flight and only does this in the hotter temperatures.
On a recent 1hr. flight the max temp. the pitch servo reached was 115 degrees F and the bank servo was about 10 degrees cooler. As usual as soon as I landed and turned power off and back on the pitch servo was not working. There was no led on and the temp. did not rise but slowly fell as the heat dissipated. The pitch servo is on the end of the can buss line and does have the terminating resistor. After cooling the servo with a wet rag to about 98 degress and cycling power the led lit up and the servo was functional.
Is the servo faulty?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Glenn Davis
5362P
rainier
Site Admin

Re: servo overheating?

Post by rainier »

There is a fix for this - involves replacing the firmware for your servo. This affects some older servos. The internal processor does not start up - once started it continues fine.
Where are you based ? Your distributor may be in a position to replace the firmware.
gd5362

Post by gd5362 »

That's good to know. I'm in the USA, Texas
As far as old, they were purchased late 2017
Glenn Davis
5362P
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

OK, contact your distributor - they can load new firmware that will make this issue go away for good.