Status of G2 firmware

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
loopy

Status of G2 firmware

Post by loopy »

Hello Rainer and others. I am having trouble with the current G2 firmware. Ive asked about this in a separate post. My current question relates to the status of G2 equipment. I note that the current version of G2 firmware (3.0.0.2) was published almost 4.5 years ago (July 2016). Since that time the G3 firmware has been updated 27 times. Is there a plan to provide an updated G2 firmware or some hardware upgrade pathway? With best wishes. Colin
adamoconnor

Re: Status of G2 firmware

Post by adamoconnor »

There is a hardware upgrade path to G3 since it was released for G2 customers. Depending on where in the world you're in, you should be able to send the EFIS to your nearest MGL distributor and have the upgrade performed. Do take a backup of configuration, screen designs, anything you want saved etc as it is most often recommended to re-fresh the internal SSD with a brand new filesystem.

Since this upgrade path exists and because G2 has been deprecated, the only G2 update that we'll see is one that might possibly be related to a critical safety issue.

Adam
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
bradwalton

Post by bradwalton »

Hello Adam
I have a G2 Odyssey. Can you tell us a little more about the upgrade. What is done, a processor upgrade? What are the benefits?
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Upgrades from G1 to G2 are possible on Odyssey and Voyager EFIS systems as long as stocks of the G2 boards are available.
Upgrades from G2 to G3 are available for iEFIS Explorer and Challenger EFIS systems (those that use an iBOX - the lites are G3 from the start).

There has never been an upgrade from Odyssey/Voyager to G3. There is not much point as the more powerful G3 hardware is mostly needed to handle additional functionality and higher resolution screens - the G3 is quite busy in the Lite systems handling all of the internal sensors and AHRS as well. This would not be possible with a G2.
Jeandup

Post by Jeandup »

Hi Rainier,
I have a G2 Explorer-
Can you please let me know the process for upgrading to the G3? I am based in Kathu in the Northern Cape.

Thanks
Jean
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Send an email to Ria@mglavionics.co.za with your request for an upgrade - she will send you the details.
Jeandup

Post by Jeandup »

Thanks Rainier- will do.