Voyager Button Battery Holder Replacement and Re-Solder

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
JimJab

Voyager Button Battery Holder Replacement and Re-Solder

Post by JimJab »

Whilst Christmas is over and the aircon is doing a good job to keep me inside. So I decide to re-post this post I put on the old forum just in case you also had or have trouble losing the Hobbs hours due to your button battery being flat or in my case the battery holder starting to break out.

I found my Hobbs and Maintenance Hours between flights would be lost at times and on other days I would go to the plane and all was good and still had the Hobbs hours. A bit of MGL forum searching found that the Button Battery would most likely be flat and need replacing.

But when I removed the cover to the button battery. The first thing I notice was one side of the Button battery holder was sitting slightly off the surface of the board and the center battery tab in the holder had no spring in it and was sitting flat. As I tried to wiggle the Battery holder the solder pin popped out of the board and solder hole.
VoyagerBackUpBatteryUnsolderPinV2.jpg
VoyagerBackUpBatteryUnsolderPinV2.jpg (98.07 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

I thought the battery holder pin looked very short and when looking at the next pic of the solder joint on the other side of the board, it looks normal. My guess the pin cracked out from around and under the solder joint.
WhatADrySolderJointCanBeV2.jpg
WhatADrySolderJointCanBeV2.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
I did sourced a new button battery holder locally and all that was needed was a basic re-solder of the two pins that held the battery holder in place. Notice how the center battery tab now sits up and has a spring in it.
VoyagerButtonBattreyHolderFixedv2.jpg
VoyagerButtonBattreyHolderFixedv2.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units