iEFIS dicky SD card slot

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
dutchroll

iEFIS dicky SD card slot

Post by dutchroll »

Anyone experienced an issue where the iEFIS SD card slot spits the card back out each time and won't lock it against the spring tension anymore? This has just happened on my Explorer. The files on the card can still be read if I hold it in there but it
can no longer be locked into the slot. Are these replaceable/repairable items or is there some trick which might get the mechanism working again?
wukfit

Re: iEFIS dicky SD card slot

Post by wukfit »

Have you tried a different SD card? Sometimes it’s the card itself that looses its ‘tab’ that prevents it from locking. It’s worth ruling this out
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

hi dutchroll,

In my situation the back of the SD card module pushed out, so the SD card would push right into the EFIS, so I ended up having to super clue a bit of zip tie to the SD card so I could pull it back out of the module, as it could also still read.

I replaced the SD card module in my Voyager EFIS the other day and I would say anyone who own's their own variable soldering station should have the soldering skills needed to de-solder the SD card module tracks with de-solder braid and re-solder the new card module in place.

But everyone please be "Warned", if you don't have the soldering skills needed, you could very easily over heat or tear off one of those copper tracks and if you do that, you will have a much bigger headache.

But here are some pic showing the Voyager SD card Module being replaced, hope this helps.

Cheers JimJab

This pic shows the position of the SD card Module in the Voyager EFIS.
EFIS opened showing Module
EFIS opened showing Module
SDCardv2 .jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

This pic show the module ready to de-solder the track with the new SD Card module comparing it the right part.
Before replacing SD module
Before replacing SD module
SDCardNewOldv2 .jpg (181.33 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
This pic is with the SD Card Module replaced and ready to put back together again.
SD Module Replaced
SD Module Replaced
SDCard ReplacedV2.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Older MGL units
dutchroll

Post by dutchroll »

Ok cool so at least I know it can be done. My solder skills are rudimentary, so I'll investigate having this done by someone who's at a higher skill level than myself! I might even call the MGL guys here after the break. They've always been pretty helpful with minor glitches like this.