MGL Autopilot Finally having a Win- Update

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
JimJab

MGL Autopilot Finally having a Win- Update

Post by JimJab »

Hi All,

Background,

I have a Voyager EFIS with Trio Servos for my autopilot and I have no other type of GPS connected to my EFIS. Now having just got my autopilot working and not disengaging due to a servo clutch issue, I also have this left of track issue.

I flew a short GPS leg with my autopilot and notice it was flying left of the HIS boxes and maybe the ground track. I did not check if the aircraft was actually flying left of the GPS track over the ground.

I have seen over time where a number of people say their MGL/autopilot flies left of track and the HIS boxes, my autopilot seemed to fly my selected track with reasonable directional accuracy, but it also flew the selected GPS track to the left of my HIS boxes on my EFIS screen, if I had to guess there seems to be some type of track off set maybe in the EFIS programing.

I had read some where that some GPS Units allow you to off set your track in the GPS allowing your aircraft to have a slightly different track, left or right to other another aircraft flying between the same two waypoints, not a bad idea.

So thinking about the offset a bit more, if you are going to offset your GSP track, I would think you would off set your track to the right. This would then have aircraft flying the same track towards you, passing you down your left side, being the side most pilots sit on.

So, I am wonder if the HSI box Track are offset to the right in the EFIS software and the EFIS GPS is actually on track but seems to be left of track when comparing them to the HIS boxes on the EFIS screen.

I am yet to check my GPS/autopilot track over the ground to compare the HIS track to see which track is correct.

Rainer, could you shed some light on this left of Track issue.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate this Festive Season.

JimJab
Last edited by JimJab on Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Older MGL units
MikeBlackburn

Re: Autopilot Left of Track Issue

Post by MikeBlackburn »

So I have the same problem…. But I’m to the RIGHT (and no, it’s not a down under thing because I’m also S Hemisphere…… :0) )

Been an issue throughout my ownership of the aircraft. Not sure why but it’s consistently 0.6-0.8nm off and always to the right….
E9B17A4D-53B7-4CA2-BB59-679715C7EE26.jpeg
E9B17A4D-53B7-4CA2-BB59-679715C7EE26.jpeg (92 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Adjusting the GPS OBS doesn’t do anything.
Mike Blackburn
MGL iEFIS G3
ZU-IBM (Sling 4 Turbo S/n 009)
Diamond

Post by Diamond »

Hello, Same issue, any ideas?
Tasmag

Post by Tasmag »

I'm convinced it is a vibration issue, particularly with the lite versions. I had the same thing until I added an SP7, flies straight down the hits now
JimJab

Re: Autopilot Finally Having a Win- Update

Post by JimJab »

Hi All,

Well its been while and we are further down the track with our auto-pilot.

I too have had nearly every problem mention here on this forum in getting my auto- pilot to play nicely in my Jab 430/230.

But we are nearly there, as I have finally got my auto-pilot to fly through the HITS, right on the magenta line on both my EFIS's moving map and my iPad with Ozrunways. Currently in our smooth winter air, it can hold my altitude +/- 10/20 feet for a long Nav with all different headings.

Whilst I am thinking more tweaking is needed with EFIS's auto-pilot setting, we are getting there, but its been a bit of a journey.

It all started with my Trio Gold pitch servo clutch was badly slipping all the time. So the autopilot would disengaged with in seconds of being turned on. After getting that issue fixed, I thought you beauty.

Here is some background info about this and the Trio Clutch.

https://www.mglavionics.co.za/phpBB3/vi ... 4120#p4120

So after getting the pitch servo clutch sorted, Sadly it was not the total solution to all my auto-pilot problems.

The pitch servo was now not disconnecting auto pilot, if I trimmed my aircraft perfectly for level cruise and made sure I assigned the cruise to the height I was flying at. The pitch servo would stay engaged until we hit a thermal and then would tried to maintain my assigned Altitude, but with in a few seconds the auto-pilot would disengaged due to the pitch servo slipping.

So at this point, I removed the pitch servo from my EFIS's settings and found my auto-pilot could fly the plane in a fashion using just the roll servo without trying to disengage. But it was pretty ugly with one wing down and the joy stick not in the middle. At least the auto-pilot was not disengaging.

Like a dog with a bone, I talked to the Jabiru Australia crew and they said with the Dynon EFIS it can control the heading and altitude with-in pretty good tolerances. So I thought why couldn't the MGL unit do this as well?

Looking at the aircraft, I found there was an issue with the trim block not freely sliding on the trim shaft between the 2 adjustable trim springs. I was told by Jabiru only use graphite power on this block and shaft as it can gum up otherwise. Since we got this aircraft we have been using nothing but graphic power on the shaft every annual. But what we did not realize the trim system was not working as freely as it needed, when using it with the auto-pilot.

I've attached a picture of the trim block and shaft gummed up with some half dried out grease. I am guessing the previous owner was using graphite grease on the trim block.

So before we cleaned up the Trim Block and Shaft, we worked out the pitch servo was not only trying to move the elevator to get to the correct altitude, it must have been also trying to move the trim system lever with it's friction lock This would place a lot more strange on the pitch servo and make it slip, so disengaging the auto-pilot once again.

TrimShaft&BlockCleaningV2.jpg
TrimShaft&BlockCleaningV2.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 182 times

So once I had the trim block sliding between the springs freely, we found the auto-pilot was able to maintain an assigned altitude as long as I had trimmed the aircraft nicely for level flight.

In my experience what I can say, correcting my auto-pilot issues is as much about knowing and leaning how the system works and identifying what could cause the problems and then that was causing the auto-pilot to have it control issues.

Have to go for now, but there is still some stuff to work out, but we can see a light at the end of the tunnel in getting our auto-pilot to play nicely with our aircraft.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units
JimJab

Re: MGL Autopilot Finally having a Win- Update

Post by JimJab »

Hi All,

Well with my auto-pilot, sadly I had been totally focused on my servos, MGL EFIS and settings to solve my auto-pilot issues and nothing I did was improving the way my auto-pilot flew my aircraft, one wing slightly down and ball slightly to the side.

But there's two parts to an auto-pilot, the servo control system and the aircraft/airframe that the auto-pilot controls. I was focusing on the idea that the issues were coming from the MGL auto-pilot control, right!!!

But I was wrong, as we put the spot light on our aircraft we realized it was not flying that well with hands off in smooth air. Basically the rigging was very poorly adjusted.

We went back through the rigging process and this took time, patience and someone who knew aircrafts well. With smooth air days so we could feel what our aircraft was trying to do.

After we adjusted a few things and now with the way our aircraft was now flying, I actually wondered why we needed an auto-pilot in our aircraft as it flew so nicely, hands off. Well maybe not perfect, but so much better than before.

A comment was made, how can I expect the auto-pilot to fly your aircraft nicely, if your aircraft does not want to fly nicely by itself with hands off.

So how much difference did this make to the auto-pilot, well, it made a world of difference and well worth the time and effort in checking the rigging. The auto-pilot is no longer flying with a slight wing down or left of track.

Why was my aircraft rigging out, well that's another story, which must have come about when the aircraft was de-rigged for trailering and my guess when it was put back together, the owner/builder did not spend the time to fine tune the rigging before we purchased the aircraft. I was also told you don't have to have an aircraft de-rigged for it to start flying poorly when hands off.

Cheers
JimJab
Last edited by JimJab on Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Older MGL units
JimJab

Re: MGL Autopilot Finally having a Win- Update

Post by JimJab »

Hi All,

After re-rigging and trimming our aircraft, it was time to start looking again at my MGL auto-pilot settings and servos.

What I had noticed after fixing the pitch servo clutch from slipping, quite often when on the ground and turning on the auto-pilot and selecting "Straight and Level", the roll servo start would start chattering for no obvious reason and yet on other days the roll servo would not chatter at all.

So on this particular day, I was sitting in our plane on the ground having turned the auto-pilot on by selecting "Straight and Level" and then started reading the MGL manual about the auto-pilot, whilst I was waiting for the roll servo to start chattering.

Finally I stop reading and by chance shifted my weight in the pilot's seat and then suddenly the roll servo started chattering away. From this I finally worked out, what made the roll servo start chattering, it was the AHRS had moved slightly.

I found that a small area of the adhesive clue had let go of the felt lining where the Velcro strips secured the AHRS unit to roof. Really you would not have believe the small amount of movement it had, maybe a 1mm would make the roll servo start chatter away. So we move the AHRS side ways by about 2cm to where the roof liner was more securely glued to the roof.

Being on the ground, we then we turned the auto-pilot on and selected "Straight and Level", I pulled at the AHRS Velcro for a bit and then we tried rocking and rolling the wings. Nothing we did could make the roll servo start and continue to chatter.

At this point, I was wondering how much difference this would make to the way the auto-pilot would fly.

But something else I noticed, when testing the auto-pilot with the MGL pre-flight servo test, I noticed the roll servo centre position did not match the Joy Stick's position in level flight.

So we adjusted the roll servo push rod so the servo centre matched the joystick in level flight. This most likely makes no difference, but hey, if it looks right it must be good.

Cheers for now
JimJab
Older MGL units