Virtual Fuel Tanks

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
jwaldrip

Virtual Fuel Tanks

Post by jwaldrip »

Hi
Can anyone tell me if its possible to set up virtual fuel tanks when you have four tanks. I have two RDACS, two tanks on one and two on the other. Adam made me a custom screen to show the four tanks. I can't get them to read correctly with the RDACs. Is there a way to set up the flow (RED CUBE 60) to show the fuel level on all tanks? I don't understand about all this. Is there a way in the Efis to pick virtual tank vs real tank. Setup for both are on the same page but nowhere to select which one to use.? Oh I have the Challenger Efis. :D
brs

Re: Virtual Fuel Tanks

Post by brs »

jwaldrip wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:38 pm Hi
Can anyone tell me if its possible to set up virtual fuel tanks when you have four tanks.
A. I have two RDACS, two tanks on one and two on the other. Adam made me a custom screen to show the four tanks. I can't get them to read correctly with the RDACs.
B. Is there a way to set up the flow (RED CUBE 60) to show the fuel level on all tanks? I don't understand about all this.
C. Is there a way in the Efis to pick virtual tank vs real tank. Setup for both are on the same page but nowhere to select which one to use.?
Oh I have the Challenger Efis. :D
A lot of questions here. Sure is easier to get an answer when asking just one question at a time. Though I'll give a shot at some of this.
A: With two RDACS you must be sure to set the screen up so that two tanks are reading from on RDAC and the other Two are reading from the second RDAC. This is done in the screen designer. Also you need to be sure that the RDACs are numbered separately and the EFIS knows there are two RDACs. I've not done this so I can't advise.
B: The red cube would be installed so that all the fuel to the carb goes through it. This way it is just counting gallons (or what ever) and does not know what tank the fuel came from. Next you build a virtual tank that gets it's information from the RDAC. The size of the virtual tank will need to be as large as your total fuel capacity (all four tanks). Be sure to reset this upon filling your tanks. Again, you'll need to be sensitive as to which RDAC is being used for the Fuel Cube and be sure to code that into your virtual tank on the screen designer.
C: The way I handled this was to have (as in point B: above) one virtual tank as well as all the other tanks. By quickly looking at the indicated quantity of the four tanks and adding them up they should equal the virtual tank. If they match then you can be fairly confident of your fuel quantity.

Good luck!
jwaldrip

Post by jwaldrip »

so are you saying I need to set up a virtual tank in the screen designer? If so can't do it. I don't think I have any real-estate left for another tank.
brs

Post by brs »

jwaldrip wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:50 am so are you saying I need to set up a virtual tank in the screen designer? If so can't do it. I don't think I have any real-estate left for another tank.
You could leave out the 'tape' and just use the number of gallons remaining like...
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.26.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 6.26.55 PM.png (45.61 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
If you really want to impress your friends you could make a touch area to bring up an 'info' screen and you could then have an expanded fuel page on that info page. Touch it again to make it hide.