Stability of EGT and CHT readings Xtreme EMS

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Simon840

Stability of EGT and CHT readings Xtreme EMS

Post by Simon840 »

Hi I have a Xtreme EMS with a RDAC XG. My EGT and CHT readings displayed on the EMS fluctuate every second rather than a nice stable reading. For example the CHT can go up and down by about 10deg f per second. Is this normal or is there a problem with my instillation? If it is normal is there a way of damping out the readings in the settings?

Thanks

Simon
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Stability of EGT and CHT readings Xtreme EMS

Post by rainier »

Usually this tends to indicate that your RDAC is not correctly grounded and you have a potential difference between the engine block and the ground supply of your RDAC that is fluctuating rapidly (which is pretty normal).
Please ensure that you follow the advice in the installation manual - The RDAC MUST receive its power supply ground directly from the engine block and this connection must not be shared with anything else. The RDAC uses this as its reference for all measurements.
Simon840

Re: Stability of EGT and CHT readings Xtreme EMS

Post by Simon840 »

Hi Rainier. Thanks for the reply, the RDAC is grounded to the block but missed the bit about it not being shared with anything else, currently on the same engine stud as the battery earth. I will give it its own earth point on the block and see how that goes.

Thanks

Simon.