T16 update

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
viper22

T16 update

Post by viper22 »

Any update on when the T16 will be available? Thanks
rainier
Site Admin

Re: T16 update

Post by rainier »

I guess early 2021.
The design is basically complete - prototype is operational and meets all requirements. Rather good actually. Extremely good jitter performance and also the P6 phase decoder is outstanding (this is quite a critical thing in a mode-s transponder). In order to avoid infringing on the many patents around this it's back to basics - now works the way a super expensive laboratory analyzer works - direct measurement of phase angles in high resolution. Made possible by using a very fast processor (and some cool programming of course).
One change I am doing now is to isolate the transmitter onto its own PCB as a module. Reason is that I am not happy with the consistency of the multilayer PCB material over production batches - this affects the speed at which a wave travels on the tracks - and some of these are tuned for various purposes (harmonics filters, RX/TX switch etc) so the length is critical. Deviations would result in variations of output power. Better to use a more consistent material here - which is more expensive so I can't do that for the entire PCB.
Second reason, I got invited to join the RTCA standards committee tasked with all the surveillance stuff so I got a bit of insight as to what will be happening. I need to look at making a diversity transponder really cheap and making this a bit more modular helps to achieve that goal.
This has been a challenging development, now that it is done it seems almost trivial. It's been fun though - I thrive on this kind of thing...
viper22

Post by viper22 »

Rainier,

Thanks for the update ... I'm looking forward to the release. Want to keep the panel MGL - MX1, V16 w/ Vega, T16, RDAC, SP6, SP12. When the T16 is released will it initially work with both EFIS and Control head together similar to the V16?
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Yes of course, both control head as well as EFIS control in any combination you like.

I'm taking the design of the T16 with extreme care - this thing must be the best transponder ever right out the box (and the lowest cost). I'm not taking any chances on this one.
There will likely be several versions - not completely decided yet - need to do the costing first. There MAY be two versions, one with built in altimeter as encoder and one without (encoder comes from EFIS data). If it turns out the extra cost of the altimeter and fittings is not going to break the bank it will be a single version.

Rainier
sapril001

Post by sapril001 »

Hi Rainier,

With ADSB Out capability? :D
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

sapril001 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:11 pm Hi Rainier,

With ADSB Out capability? :D
Yes of course.

It is actually a multi-mode transponder. You tell it how it must work. From a full feature mode-s level 2 els down to a simple mode-A/C and a few variations in-between.
viper22

Post by viper22 »

Rainier, So the T16 will not need the SP12 to be ADS-B OUT compliant? Is ADS-B IN going to be part of the feature set?
adamoconnor

Post by adamoconnor »

viper22 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:16 pm Rainier, So the T16 will not need the SP12 to be ADS-B OUT compliant? Is ADS-B IN going to be part of the feature set?
The SP-12 will be required as the ADS-B Approved Position Source. That way it keeps the certifications separate and unit cost cheaper, particularly for those who only need Mode C compliance. The ADS-B In from MGL is going to be a separate device from MGL.
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
Brett

Post by Brett »

So for a simple system with an iefis lite, v6 radio, sp6 and sp7 I will essentially need three more modules to have ADSB in and out?

-The T16
-Sp12
-And a separate adsb in device?

Brett
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Yes.
Here is what the SP-14 looks like (without its clothes on). Dual 1090ES and 978Mhz UAT plus mode-A/C receiver and distance estimator.
There is no SP-13, owing to tradition we skipped that number :roll: