Autopilot Track accuracy

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
MikeBlackburn

Autopilot Track accuracy

Post by MikeBlackburn »

Wondering if the hive mind has any ideas here - my autopilot, when flying on the HSI GPS mode always seems to fly right of track (usually about 0.3-0.5nm. Is this to do with my lateral control sensitivity settings in the setup? It's a little frustrating - think it should do better than that?
Mike Blackburn
MGL iEFIS G3
ZU-IBM (Sling 4 Turbo S/n 009)
apachejoe

Re: Autopilot Track accuracy

Post by apachejoe »

I had the same issue when using the MGL GPS for position and a GNS 430 for navigation. When the Garmin was set to "Auto" for course width accuracy it always flew right of course. I changed the Garmin setting to a manual setting of 0.3 NM (I think) and now it flies exactly in the center of the HITS boxes.
Tasmag

Post by Tasmag »

I have a very similar issue using an explorer lite

On autopilot the plane always flies left of track, if I am heading to a waypoint it eventually gets itself of track enough that it makes a right turn to intercept the original track.

The only explanation u came up with was vibration confusing the built in sensors of the Lite.

This is in a Jabiru, which have the console bolted directly to the firewall.

Mike
MikeBlackburn

Post by MikeBlackburn »

Anyone else have any input on this? On Saturday I was consistently 1.5nm right of track. It’s not a go-no go issue but I don’t understand why it should be happening. Eventually used the heading bug to manually fly the desired track….
Mike Blackburn
MGL iEFIS G3
ZU-IBM (Sling 4 Turbo S/n 009)
Mmacey

Post by Mmacey »

I have an Odyssey G2. The track accuracy was centered using the internal GPS. Now I use a Garmin GPS175. The track consistently drifts and stays about a needles with left. Selecting direct-to corrects it temporarily. Also when approaching a fix for a course change the CDI is slow to change to the new bearing ( about 3 to 4 seconds) This causes the autopilot to try to do a 180.
Mike
drvale

Post by drvale »

I have an Explorer G3 and it consistently flies slightly right of track Upto ½ mile, has always done so. Have mentioned on a few occasions previously. Don't use for an IFR approach!
David Vale
G-OCAD
Sequoia Falco
MGL user for more than 10 years!! Explorer iEFIS, Discovery Lite, Vega backup & MGL a/p