Type of temperature sender for VDO?

Post here anything about a more technical nature not directly related to a product - installation questions or solutions, anything you think may help others as well. Floobidust - a term sometimes used by us nerds to categorize anything that does not fit into a category. Sort of a wild card.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
manolo.lezl

Type of temperature sender for VDO?

Post by manolo.lezl »

Hello.

I've installed these senders for oil and coolant temperature:

Continental VDO Oil temperature sender 150°C 1/8-27 NPTF
Part-number: VDO A2C5218492280
Range: 50ºC-150ºC

I have here the correspondence table ohms vs temp.

I have it connected and showing 0ºC on the EFIS. The engine is at ambient temp. So showing 0ºC should be ok (range 50º-150ºC)

If I use a heat gun around it, temperature increases normally, and starts showing 24, 25ºC... when the initial temp should be 50ºC. Is this normal?

What type of sender should I set on my EFIS for these ones? Is there any procedure to adjust the values shown?

Thank you. Manolo.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Type of temperature sender for VDO?

Post by rainier »

We tend to show the sender measurement before reaching 50 degrees.
These senders are only really somewhat accurate around their designed operating temperatures and outside that range they become somewhat random as far as readings go. But they are generally OK from about 20 degrees C ambient upwards.
manolo.lezl

Re: Type of temperature sender for VDO?

Post by manolo.lezl »

Thank you.

Then I have to choose NTC probe on the EFIS, right?