Wind Indication Arrow

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Spoedoog

Wind Indication Arrow

Post by Spoedoog »

Hi there

Can anyone help me program a wind-direction arrow onto my MGL EFIS screen.
My RV-9A trainer was fitted with Dynon and there was a small white arrow that show the direction of the wind according to your aircrafts nose.

I would like to have a white arrow into the top right corner of my EFIS where there is only blue background.

On the attached picture there is a white arrow near the left bottom corner of the Dynon. Something like that.

Regards

Werner
Attachments
DynonWindDirectionIndicator.png
DynonWindDirectionIndicator.png (177.86 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Wind Indication Arrow

Post by rainier »

If you are using our default screens there is an arrow and speed indication on our larger maps (where there is space for it).
These are normal screen items so if you make a derivative of any screen or a new one from scratch you can place the wind arrow and related wind speed anywhere you like. Note that you select if the arrow should show the wind direction relative to north or relative to your aircraft's direction of flying.

If you do not see the arrow on your map (assuming standard screens) then one or more components required for calculations are missing.

For calculations you need the following:

Ground speed from GPS
Ground track from GPS
Magnetic heading from a compass - typically the SP-6.
True airspeed from indicated airspeed corrected for temperature/density.

Of the four above items if your indication is way off - it's your magnetic heading. Make sure you have located and calibrated your compass properly or else this cannot work.

There is also a quite useful display in the diagnostics menu which shows you what is going into the formula and what comes out. It's the standard wind triangle stuff you were told about in ground school.
Spoedoog

Post by Spoedoog »

I asked a hardware technician at a midband radio shop to solder my connections. Is there a way to see on the iEFIS Explorer where my SP-6 is connected without cutting open the harness he built me that connects to the iEFIS? He used hot glue to seal the fittings.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

The SP-6 would be connected to the CAN bus - on the "Lite" it's on the same connector that also gives you the RS232 port number 2. On a system with iBOX you have two CAN bus systems (they are independent but for all practical purposes behave as one). You could connect the SP-6 to either of these.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

You have a very useful "can bus activity tracker" in your diagnostics menu if you have a recent version of the iEFIS and iBOX firmware installed (also works for Lites). It gives you a lot of detail on what is connected, message rates, data rates, bandwidth used etc.