Dual Ignition RPM Reading

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
pavel569

Dual Ignition RPM Reading

Post by pavel569 »

I have a problem with displaying correctly RPM on my Explorer with dual ignition engine setup. I have two independent coils and pickups on my Subaru. In the manual for RDAC it states that the highest RPM from both of the inputs will be displayed but the there is no choice in the screen designer to choose "RPM". It's either RPM 1 or RPM 2 RDAC input and if I switch the ignition from one to another it will not display the highest RPM of both but only RPM of the one that is set in the designer. I only run it in the simulator but I assume it should be exactly the same as in the actual instrument.
pavel569

Re: Dual Ignition RPM Reading

Post by pavel569 »

Anybody can explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I don't want to have two RPM dials on the screen for the same engine, while one of them will always be inactive - 0.
sparxfly

Post by sparxfly »

The engine RPM text item supports the higher of the 2 (RPM<>RPM2), but not the analog arc.
I work around this by overlaying a secondRPM analog arc, but select a different pointer style and display pointer only.
That gives you a 'split needle' display with the active (higher) needle correctly showing and matching the text item.
Works best on a larger analog arc.
Screenshot 2023-10-08 170530.png
Screenshot 2023-10-08 170530.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Stuart
NZ MGL dealer
pavel569

Post by pavel569 »

Great, thanks a lot. That's exactly what I need. I already had the secondary small marker for the second ignition but the RPM text readout was driving me crazy. I completely overlooked that option "RPM 1<>2" in the designer. Sky is blue again, thank you.
Paul