Enigma internal battery

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Sonexmike

Enigma internal battery

Post by Sonexmike »

Hello,

This my first visit and I tried to search this subject without success so here's what I need help with.
MGL Enigma doesn't retain time, date, Hobbs, etc.
Previous owner said "maybe the battery is in backwards". It was in correctly but I installed a new one and the old one tested good.
It's not an easy r&r but I'm willing to take a look inside if the unit can be serviced. I used to be a bench tech many years ago when components were big and replaceable so what are my chances? Guessing a diode, solder joint or maybe the battery holder is damaged .
Any insight on the matter would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Enigma internal battery

Post by rainier »

Remove the rear panel (4 x screws) and have a close look at the two solder joints that hold the battery receptacle. In particular where the pads merge into the copper tracks - it is possible if a previous battery replacement was done somewhat "heavy handed" that a pad lifts from the board and the connection to the track is severed. It can be fixed quite easily with a solder bridge.