RPM Pulse from Jab 3300 Ignition Coil & Hall Effect

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: RPM Pulse from Jab 3300 Ignition Coil & Hall Effect

Post by rainier »

If no other rev counter is used it will work - just set the sensitivity on the RDAC to "high gain" and use the gain trimmer to tweak the sensitivity - the RDAC will go down to about 1Vpp signal.
If another rev counter is connected it tends to load the signal and it no longer works with the RDAC.
Only RDAC XF and XG have the gain settings...
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

If you have been following this thread, this will be my final post on this topic of setting up the hall effect sensor for a Jabiru 430/230 with a Gen 4 engine.

I started this thread because my Jabiru Aircraft was using the ignition coil for its RPM pick-up. This caused two problems, my first was the RDAC-XB had only one input for the rpm sensor, so it would drop the revs when testing the coil. But my major problem for using the ignition coil was that my RPM gauge read so badly, all over the place below 2000 RPM .

So now after about 6 months and numerous flights hours. I am going to say, I am extremely happy in how the RPM is working, it's been totally rock solid and reliable throughout the rev range with this Hall Effect set up. Happy days for this set up.

Sensor Completed R4.jpg
Sensor Completed R4.jpg (38.53 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
Older MGL units
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

A quick post to say, I am still very please with this set up nearly 12 months down the track.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units