Pitot/static ports

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
andynoiseboy

Pitot/static ports

Post by andynoiseboy »

Does anyone know if the pitot and static ports on EFIS's (any model) are airtight?
Sounds like a stupid question but I was using a U-gauge manometer to check the accuracy of a steam gauge ASI and found that it leaked pressure. I then tried the same test and found that all the ports on an MX1 leaked too.
To clarify:
1. The pressures used were well within limits and at no point exceeded ASI maximums.
2. I double-checked tubing for leaks, to a point where I was directly connecting to the ports from the manometer with a short length of new tubing.

Scratching my head here....
TIA
sparxfly

Re: Pitot/static ports

Post by sparxfly »

They normally don't leak, but best to use silicon rubber tube (the stuff model aircraft guys use as fuel tube) with a small cable tie sealing it off behind the barb on the nipple.
The seal can be easily broken if you use stiffer tube with any bending force on the nipple.
Stuart
NZ MGL dealer
andynoiseboy

Re: Pitot/static ports

Post by andynoiseboy »

Thanks for the response...
I'll have to try again, but I know that the tubing itself was airtight. It could only be the union of pipe-to-port or the port itself, but the pipe did seem to fit tightly to the port stem.
I'll try some softer silicone tube....