Dig Map Map Types

Post here anything about a more technical nature not directly related to a product - installation questions or solutions, anything you think may help others as well. Floobidust - a term sometimes used by us nerds to categorize anything that does not fit into a category. Sort of a wild card.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
drew2020

Dig Map Map Types

Post by drew2020 »

My goal is to get a better understanding of digital map map products like GNC, JNC, TPC, CIB etc. I've gotten all I can from basic on-line search such as their scale and usage. But I've also come across such terms as GeoTIFF and GTC. GeoTIFF is a TIFF image file tagged with lat/long and maybe altitude. But can charts be GeoTIFF files? Also not sure what GTC is as related to GeoTIFFs. Also, is Sun shading limited to terrain maps? I would think that is so but not sure. My ultimate objective is to get a good understanding of digital map systems from an engineering POV and not a pilot.
If anyone can point me to a book or some other reference that would be appreciated.
Thanks