Connectors/cable management for RDAC XG

Post here anything about a more technical nature not directly related to a product - installation questions or solutions, anything you think may help others as well. Floobidust - a term sometimes used by us nerds to categorize anything that does not fit into a category. Sort of a wild card.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
vogoff

Connectors/cable management for RDAC XG

Post by vogoff »

First time installer, planning an RDAC XG install for my Cubby.

I'm planning to install the RDAC behind the firewall (cockpit side) and to make maintenance easier would like to add some sort of plugs on the end of the 25-pin cable.

Wondering what sort of connectors to use? Considering 2 pin molex connectors but I suspect they will vibrate free over time, not really suitable for use in an aircraft. Or perhaps the standard screw type connector blocks, although I'm not sure I'll get 25 reliable connections using these...

Or am I overthinking it and it would actually be easier to solder and heat shrink the 25 connectors, and just cut and re-solder when I need to change a sensor?

Any recommendations on cable management/keeping all the cables neat? Or should I follow the examples of AMOs who seem to cable tie everything? Is it worth having some sort of box to protect all the splices from the elements and ensure they don't suffer too much mechanical stress?
sparxfly

Re: Connectors/cable management for RDAC XG

Post by sparxfly »

I favour using the screw terminal 'chocolate blocks'-
RDAC cabling terminated on one side
sensors terminated on the other
crimp ferrules on each wire end
P clips holding the cable bunches secure before fanning out into the terminal strips

Document the layout and life is much easier when you have to fault find or replace sensors.
Chances are you will not be using all 25 wires from the RDAC- just fold them back tidily in case you add to the system later on.
Stuart
NZ MGL dealer
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

Here is some background information if you have quite a few pretty pennies to spend.
www.amphenol.com.au

If you want something more than Molex connectors, then go and google "Amphenol Automotive Connectors"

We use their multi pin connectors in our business.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units
vogoff

Post by vogoff »

Thanks all.

Those multi-pin connectors look amazing but I think are overkill for my project.

The chocolate blocks can be annoying as they don't always provide a solid connection. But I never considered ferrules, I think that would solve the problems I have with using them.

P-clips also an excellent idea. Will invest in some of those.