V10 picking up radio stations.

The expanding range of MGL's innovative RF avionics
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
N91SX

V10 picking up radio stations.

Post by N91SX »

Hello,

I have a V10 COMM. My transmit and recieve are good on most frequencies. My airport home freq is 122.8, once about 500 agl it breaks squelch and I can hear a little music in the background over the static. I have to go to about 75% squelch to get rid of it, but then I can't hesr ATC also depending on range. On 122.2 and 121.5 the radio is fine. Today I flew into another airport on 118.9 and the same problem. It was strong enough that I had an issue hearing the tower at times.

I read an old AVCOM post that the original V10 radios had this issue. I got this radio with a kit I bought off a widow. Best guess is the radio is circa 2005 (s/n 090301188)? But it's a new install. I had the V6 in my last homebuilt, I also installed it. Worked great.

Rainier, are you still adding the circuit to these to block FM?

I just bought a mini circuit band pass (ZBSF-95-N+) in the event that you are not supporting this repair anymore. Please advise.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: V10 picking up radio stations.

Post by rainier »

Yes I still have a few of the little filter PCB's in stock here.
But you can use an external filter - just get something that cuts off below 118 Mhz as steep as possible without introducing passband losses that are not acceptable.
N91SX

Post by N91SX »

rainier wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:39 pm Yes I still have a few of the little filter PCB's in stock here.
But you can use an external filter - just get something that cuts off below 118 Mhz as steep as possible without introducing passband losses that are not acceptable.
Is this something I could solder into the unit? Or would I need to ship it to you in SA? Or is it fine to stick with the Mini-Circuit band pass filter I bought?

https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/d ... SF-95-N%2B

Let me know what you think is best.

Thanks.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

The mini-circuits filter looks quite good - I think it would perform better than our filter which is less elaborate.
48Ercoupe

Post by 48Ercoupe »

@N91SX did the mini-circuits filter fix your issues? I am facing the same issue
gd5362

Post by gd5362 »

It fixed my interference issue
Glenn Davis
5362P