V16 loses transmit intermittently

The expanding range of MGL's innovative RF avionics
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Jeffsy

V16 loses transmit intermittently

Post by Jeffsy »

During the flight I have found that the transmit has stopped working. I have had to cycle the radio to then give it back to operation. Can someone tell me a fix for this
rainier
Site Admin

Re: V16 loses transmit intermittently

Post by rainier »

There is a section in the manual that describes power cycling.
In a nutshell, the V16 contains a hardware brownout protection circuit.

This triggers if power supply rise time is too long within a critical range of voltages. It will completely lock the sensitive parts of the V16 preventing damage to the system. This is an integral part of the silicon used.

This can trigger during transmit if you have an issue with the power supply to the radio - in particular also in situations where you have a less than ideal antenna match or your power supply wiring happens to act as receive antenna - during transmit, in bad cases we have measured as much as 50V of signal at RF frequency on power supply and/or ground wiring.

The radio requires a few amps during TX - if your power supply cannot handle that (wires to thin or battery tired and low power from alternator etc) voltage collapses. The V16 will detect that and gracefully reduce power up to as little as 9V before shutting down the transmitter. Conversely, it will only allow you to transmit if the DC supply voltage is at least 10V DC. So if you find you can receive (intercom still working etc) but no transmit then possibly there is less than 10V DC supply at the radio.

Note that the radio will also refuse to transmit if it is receiving (i.e. squelch is open) - but you can disable that behavior in the setup.