TX interconnect with V16 and King KY97a coms

The expanding range of MGL's innovative RF avionics
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
c-gipy

TX interconnect with V16 and King KY97a coms

Post by c-gipy »

I have an RV-6 with a Dynon intercom and a V16 on a bottom antenna and Bendix King KY97a on a top antenna. Both are working well provided I have the receive volume of the non-transmitting radio turned down when transmitting. I have not connected the TX Interconnect and am thinking that if I do then I would not have to turn down the receive volume of the non-transmitting radio when transmitting. The KY97a install manual shows a schematic with two KY97a radios and has the TX (XMIT) Interlock of one connected to the PTT (mic key) of the other and vice versa. The V16 install manual for the case of two V16s suggests just connecting the TX Interconnect pins together.
I am looking for suggestions on how to wire up the TX interlock between the two radios. Should I do it similar to the KY97a manual and connect the TX Interconnect of the V16 to the PTT of the KY97a and the PTT of the V16 to the XMIT Interconnect of the KY97a?
c-gipy

Re: TX interconnect with V16 and King KY97a coms

Post by c-gipy »

Made a mistake in the previous post - "interconnect" should be "interlock"
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Sounds like that should work fine.
c-gipy

Post by c-gipy »

Thanks Rainier for the quick reply. I will try it and see what happens.
c-gipy

Post by c-gipy »

I started this thread back in 2021. I have a Dynon SV-Intercom 2S connected to a V16 com and a KY97 com. Back then I tried connecting the TX Interlock of the V16 to the PTT of the KY97a and the PTT of the V16 to the XMIT Interlock of the KY97a. This didn't work. The V16 interlock caused the KY97 to near continuously transmit. So back then I removed the V16 TX Interlock wire and then I could transmit on the V16 and receive on both radios. If I wanted to transmit on the KY97 I would have to bring the V16 volume to zero or power it off. Then recently I tried putting the V16 Interlock wire back with a 1N4003 diode in the line. I also put a diode in the K9Y97 TX Interlock line. Now I can select via a switch which radio I transmit on and it works well with the audio on the non-transmitting radio being muted.
GIPY PTT - Tx Interconnect.jpg
GIPY PTT - Tx Interconnect.jpg (108.12 KiB) Viewed 8350 times

At the moment receive on both radios is very good and transmit strength on both radios is good (5). Transmit clarity on the KY97 is good (4). Transmit clarity on the V16 is fair to good (3 to 4) with slight feedback and noise. I am going to try to put audio isolation transformers (Bourns SM-LP-5001) on the V16 microphone in and audio out lines to see if I can improve the clarity of the V16. Does that make sense?
Ernest
c-gipy

Post by c-gipy »

Further to the above, I installed a Bourns SM-LP-5001 on the V16 microphone-in line and now both the V16 and K97 work well :)