N16 Disappears

The expanding range of MGL's innovative RF avionics
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
technerdian

N16 Disappears

Post by technerdian »

Hi all,

With power on, but before engine start, all components are working.

As soon as I start the engine the N16 disappears from both the MX1 and the Razor which means CAN bus and RS232 both stopped.

Connectors are screwed in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gareth.

iEFIS MX1
A16
V16
N16
Headless Trig TR-22 connected via CAN interface

Razor head as backup controller for V16 and N16
1948 Cessna 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN S18513 - Dublin, Ireland
MGL iEFIS MX1 - A16, N16, V16, Blaze AHRS4 x 2, RDAC
https://www.taildragger.eu/
rainier
Site Admin

Re: N16 Disappears

Post by rainier »

Does the LED on the N16 continue flashing ? My guess is "no".

This would likely be the brownout protection kicking in which does a hard shutdown if supply voltage is in "iffy" range. The only way to get it out would be to recycle power. Or start the avionics after you start the engine.

The N16 has undergone some more development as it will be used by several aviation authorities as reference receiver for ILS and VOR certification. It runs different firmware for this but is otherwise unchanged. The N16 has shown excellent stability and accuracy as well as a wide dynamic range during tests by EASA (lab and flight tests) and makes a superb device for this purpose.
As part of this some tweaks will be backported to the normal N16 and this includes the ability to recover from a "bad situation" so stay tuned for a firmware update...
technerdian

Post by technerdian »

Thanks Rainier,

I have not crawled into the back to check the led with the engine running! I don't have a way to isolate the avionics during start-up as they are all on a dual-fed Essential Bus along with the EFIS, RDAC and AHRS to avoid a single point of failure. Hopefully the firmware change will sort it out.

Regards,

Gareth.
technerdian

Post by technerdian »

Hey Rainier,

The N16 is shutting down consistently on each startup. I have been able to get it to come back up by shutting off all electrics (essential-Bus switch and master switch both off, then on) once the engine is running. I do not have an "avionics bus" to avoid a single point of failure so everything is on before the engine fires. So far none of the other devices have been bothered by startup-induced fluctuations. I could install a power switch on the panel to control the N16 power separately, but I would rather not unless really necessary.

All of which is a long-winded way of asking if you got a chance to update the N16 firmware with the "tweaks ... backported to the normal N16"?

Thanks,

Gareth.