Transceiver orientation

The expanding range of MGL's innovative RF avionics
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Noairbags

Transceiver orientation

Post by Noairbags »

Hi everyone,
Just helping a mate with feed back issues with his V16.
His tranny has been installed vertically not horizontally, after landings on a rougher runway the problem of feed back starts to occur?
Internally (of the transceiver) we note the motherboard is in “rails” is it possible the slight movement inside the rails may cause changes?
Thank you for your assistance.
We have been thru the wiring etc..... and are now at the “pulling your hair” out stage!
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Transceiver orientation

Post by rainier »

Can you tell us if you are talking about RF feedback (i.e. you press the PTT and get howling or screeching sound) or if it is the intercom ?

No I do not think the rails and PCB would have anything to do with this - the Radio electronics is completely isolated from the metal housing.

Rainier
Noairbags

Post by Noairbags »

Yes sir RF feedback tin can effect!
We have redone the supplied wiring that came with the units.
The effect seems to occur after landing on a rougher than bitumen surfaced runway OR when my mate does a firm one!
I have read all the forum queries on rat issues here.
The main Q was about whether it is acceptable to have the rxtx box on an edge rather than horizontally flat?
Thanks for your help
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Orientation does not matter.
Bad antenna connection (something intermittent ?).
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

Speaking of rails and slight movement......
I'm very happy with my V16 (which happens to be mounted horizontally) but there is some free movement between the motherboard and the internal rails. It can be felt by gripping the antenna connection and gently moving it up and down.
Is this an issue? I'm wondering if it allows vibration of the internals which could cause problems in the longer term?
And is there a fix, if a fix is needed?
Cheers from OZ
Mike
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Yes there is a slight amount of movement permitted. The movement helps to reduce stress on the multilayer PCB caused by thermal expansion and contraction (of both PCB and the casing). The contact area is designed in a way that there is nothing there to rub through etc.
This is a very unusual radio design in many ways (I had some fun with this).

In some ways the V16 is a result of a challenge. I had a discussion with the designer of a series of German made radios - many years ago, he was offering to do some radio design work for us but we declined as it was going to be a tad expensive. Anyway, I suggested doing a radio like this and it was declared that this is impossible to do. Well, that was waving a red flag in front of a bull. But to be fair - it was pretty difficult and I did come close to giving up.
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

Thanks for that Rainier,
I'm glad you took up the challenge, it's a damned good radio!
Cheers
Mike
Noairbags

Post by Noairbags »

The checking continues!