SP-6 Firmware Update Failure

This forum is dedicated to the many variations of the MGL singles.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
BSDC

SP-6 Firmware Update Failure

Post by BSDC »

Hello Board!

I’ve recently bought an aircraft with a MAG-2 and SP6 installed. The MAG2 only had version 1.0 firmware on it, so wanted to update it (mainly for the vertical compass display).

The MAG2 firmware has flashed across with no issues and tested OK with the SP6 (original firmware) plugged back in.

When I moved on to the SP6 upgrade, it didn’t go well!

I connected the SP6 testing app first to check I’d got the wiring right(!), and it was picking up data.
However, the subsequent upgrade resulted in “program write failed - please repeat”.
I did. Same thing.
Now the test app doesn’t see it, and just to be sure, neither does the MAG2 when plugged back.

Can this be rescued?

Ben
rainier
Site Admin

Re: SP-6 Firmware Update Failure

Post by rainier »

BSDC wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:07 am
Now the test app doesn’t see it, and just to be sure, neither does the MAG2 when plugged back.

Can this be rescued?

Ben
I'm not sure I understand - what firmware did you flash into the SP-6 and SP-2 ? What do you mean with the above statement ?
I hope you did not attempt to flash SP-2 firmware into the SP-6 or SP-6 firmware into the SP-2.
The part of the firmware that loads code for an update never changes (so in case there is a problem with an update you can always try again). But I am not sure what would happen if you mix firmwares - I never tried that.
BSDC

Re: SP-6 Firmware Update Failure

Post by BSDC »

The MAG-2 successfully took the V1.10. When reconnected to the SP-6, it worked OK.

I then tried to update the SP-6 with ARMPROG.EXE, but the SP-6 failed to accept the update. Not only did the update fail, but it appears to have corrupted (or removed) the original firmware, rendering the SP-6 unusable. As it happens, I've now come to the conclusion that there has only been one update to the SP-6 firmware, and mine was delivered with that newer version - so the whole exercise was pointless anyway.