BLAZE SW Update problems

This forum is dedicated to the many variations of the MGL singles.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rich

BLAZE SW Update problems

Post by rich »

Hello !

I'm trying to upgrade my BLAZE gauges to the latest SW revision (EMS-2 1.12->1.24 ASV-2 V1.10 -> 1.16).
Unfortunately I cannot even make the connection work -

I'm using the tool provided (IFFU) in the download from your website as well as a FTDI based USB2serial adaptor.
I have triple checked:
- wiring -> OK
- setting of the FTDI chip (inverted vs non-inverted RxD, TxD signals)
- tried the ST programming SW to connect (as outlined on the home page of michiganavionics) - Error message: - unrecognized device or not in boot mode ...

Looks like I have a blind spot ....
Any additional help, hints, guidance are highly appreciated

Thank you!
rainier
Site Admin

Re: BLAZE SW Update problems

Post by rainier »

After you started the upgrade utility and selected the correct COM port (verify that in your Windows Device manager) - are you holding down the F2/Down key while powering up the Blaze ? This is needed to force the Blaze into the update mode.

Your RS232 converter - do you have a RS232 driver between your chip and Blaze or are you just using the naked chip ? You need proper RS232 signals - you can't use a naked chip without a driver.
Many of the boards with that chip on you buy without a RS232 driver. For example those from Sparkfun which are popular.
Finally - connecting RS232 signals without a driver to that chip can damaged it.
rich

Re: BLAZE SW Update problems

Post by rich »

Thank you for the reply.
I was able to perform the upgrade.
There was an issue with the config of the FTDI chip of my RS232 adapter (inverted vs non inverted signals)...