Blaze/Vega EMS data logging

This forum is dedicated to the many variations of the MGL singles.
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
dmagaw

Blaze/Vega EMS data logging

Post by dmagaw »

I attached a RS232 data logger to my Vega EMS1 (which works great BTW), and it is reading and recording text data files (i.e. sequential files named xxxx.txt) which appear to be recording the output of the RS232 at 9600 baud. But the txt files are totally gibberish when viewed with a text reader or MS Word. I suspect there may be some kind of translator required, or I am doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
Dave
Groppo Trail
Italy
Franz

Re: Blaze/Vega EMS data logging

Post by Franz »

Hi Dave,

Are you using the Log-1 datalogger? If not then your datalogger will record binary data as described in the serial communication protocol doc on our website.

Regards,
Franz
dmagaw

Post by dmagaw »

No, I am using a RS232 data logger. The data in the txt files it produces is completely unreadable, some type of symbols, and nothing is obviously decipherable.
jamez1970

Post by jamez1970 »

The data coming out is in binary. I have a Vega EMS-1, and I attached a serial recorder to it as well to record all of my engine data. I wrote some programs to convert the data to .CSV then graph them using another utility.

Maybe if possible you could send me one of the files and I could possibly take a look to see what it would take to convert them.

Jim
cheeselion

Post by cheeselion »

I also wrote a program to parse this data after doing the same thing (connecting a RSLogger module to the ouput of my EMS-2). Using this would likely require you to make some changes and you'd need to be familiar with Python etc, but if you want it, it's here:

https://github.com/timeggleston/parse-ems2

Note: this was the first real Python program I ever wrote, apologies in advance to anyone who looks at the source :lol: PRs encouraged!