iEFIS Discovery Lite temporarily unavailable

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
rainier
Site Admin

iEFIS Discovery Lite temporarily unavailable

Post by rainier »

Please note that as of today 29th September 2023 the iEFIS Discovery Lite is temporarily out of production and not available from the MGL factory.
This is due to the display module no longer being available on relatively short notice.
The Discovery Lite is however in the process of prototyping for a MK2 version which uses an alternative. It is however not a rehash of the existing EFIS but a new design from the ground up featuring a higher resolution, even brighter display that can be used in landscape and portrait modes.
It is also the first EFIS to receive our G4 CPU and is Linux based.

As in the past, all existing G1,G2 and G3 products can be upgraded to G4 once this gets phased into the other EFIS lines.
rainier
Site Admin

Re: iEFIS Discovery Lite temporarily unavailable

Post by rainier »

Update Thursday 12th October 2023.
The Discovery Lite MK2 (aka MX2) prototype has completed all tests and is good. We have submitted for component purchase and kitting for a first production run. We are hopeful this new EFIS will be available in February.

Some further details. The new EFIS runs our new G4 CPU card. This is based on a triple core CPU (2 x Cortex A7 and 1 x Cortex M4) plus a graphics GPU.
The system is running Linux as operating system, a quite full featured version of it too. Nevertheless - at this point we have the EFIS up and running just 3-4 seconds after power-on. The typical long boot times of this operating system has been cut down drastically.
The EFIS application itself is based on the current G3 which has been ported to operate as application under Linux - to avoid the limited real-time performance and latencies associated with these operating systems all hardware interfacing runs outside of Linux on the M4 processor resulting in very good overall performance - it's only utilizing about 50% of one of the A7 cores - the other core is effectively unused for now. All of the 3D drawing has been moved to the GPU and executes via OpenGL offloading the CPU from the very computationally intensive task (as done on the G3 by the single core CPU).

The new Discovery Lite can function together with an MX1 as "MX2" so it's effectively an MX1 with all of the missing features the full iEFIS system provides (vector maps, terrain, 3D visuals, plates etc). Alternatively it can act as Discovery Lite as well and can connect to other "Lite" EFIS systems as before.
Even better - it can do Landscape and portrait modes without the need to load firmware - just a simple menu selection. The screen is a high resolution IPS device 1024x600 pixels in 7" format. The screen offers well over 1000 nits maximum brightness and performs nicely in sunlight.

As Discovery Lite it now offers 4 RS232 ports built in (up from 2), optional 2 input analog video feed for cameras and also optional AOA sensor. It can also be used as Discovery (not Lite) connecting to an iBOX but that needs a different rear panel/connectors - not sure if I will put this into production as I am not sure of demand. There is also a 480Mb/s USB host connection available earmarked for a Wifi/Bluetooth dongle. Keeping this external avoids the need for costly FCC certification which has to be repeated in most other countries to comply with local standards.

The G4 CPU will be phased into our other EFIS systems over time and all current systems (G2 and G3 iEFIS) can be retrofitted with the G4 should that be desired.

As our EFIS application is now able to run under the Linux operating system it may become possible to release a version of it as open source. It can't be the full version owing to several NDA's we signed over the years but the essence of the EFIS is not affected by this. Open source version would support only our open and published navidata format, open maps and plates and some of the device interfacing would have to be removed.

When I first designed the Enigma EFIS my intention was open source but as it is a tight embedded application that is self contained it was difficult to imagine supporting it as open source as most programmers shy away from dealing with hardware on a low level. Now the hardware is completely isolated from the EFIS application so this actually becomes feasible. It will depend if I can find a "champion" that will take the overall lead and run with it - that's a crucial point to make open source work.

From a developers point of view - I use Buildroot and Linux 5.7.10 as base with a bit of modification to some of the drivers and customization of uboot. I run Buildroot under Linux Ubuntu under Windows WSL2. The EFIS application is developed on our own Embedded Pascal compiler under windows (although it does also run under Linux using Wine). Ethernet is piped via a dedicated USB from Linux on the EFIS to the PC and this is used to mount a NFS folder which contains the compiled application during development - this means development is fast - compile and execute without the need to move files. It just happens. Debugging via DBG over Ethernet (USB pipe) also works nicely but I find little need for that. Mostly I use a JLink connection to the M4 which allows linear access to all memory. The potential open source developer would likely have little need to touch any of Linux or any of the EFIS code running on the M4 so you would be free to concentrate on the actual EFIS application without anything getting in the way.
Although the EFIS is written in Pascal - our Embedded Pascal compiler can compile both Pascal, C and C++ code into the same application and this is actually done here - all of the startup code is in "C" - which deals mostly with DRM and GL initialization, memory mapping etc - it was simpler to just use existing code for that than to translate everything. Also all of the OpenGL code is written in "C" - simply because of the huge amount of pre-written code on the web that can almost be used boilerplate.

So if you happen to be interested - watch this space.
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

Could this new “MX2” be a drop in replacement for an MX1 without installing any other components?
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

LaneRM wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:51 pm Could this new “MX2” be a drop in replacement for an MX1 without installing any other components?
Yes but some minor rewiring would be required - I cleaned up the pin allocations on the DB25 connector to group things and make best possible use of the connector. The only pins that are still the same are the ground and power supply points.
Samba Flyer

Post by Samba Flyer »

R, Please keep us posted on the new G4 rollout (especially iEFIS Explorer Lite).

I have a G2 Voyager (+ SP2, SP4 and RDAC-X) installed in 2010 and was looking at finally upgrading to make use of all the new features in the newer generations... The natural choice now would be a Explorer iEFIS Lite G4 (add a SP6,RDAC-XFM and maybe 2 AP Servos) as my panel is limited and the simpler implementation is perfect for my Samba and what I need it for. I use a V16 for radio.
Samba Owner with MGL equipment from 2008
clayton

Post by clayton »

When the MX2 is ready to go, I would love to get my hands on one. I have a panel project that's nearing completion, I had intended to put an MX1 in, but after hearing about the MX2 I'll wait for that. Please let me know when you get your first production batch done.

Regarding open sourcing, that would be awesome! It would be great to see the inner workings.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

It's in the worx - the first batch of G4 CPU boards are currently with the factory for pick and place.
The MX2 hardware is still waiting for the last components to arrive.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

The G4 boards have arrived and testing of the batch has been completed. All well and looking good.

Kit for the Discovery replacement should be ready within days.

As this differs hugely from the Discovery Lite (except for size) it's probably better to give it a new name - there are similarities with the MX1 (connector position and pressure sender location) so I am inclined to call it MX2.
This is our first Linux based EFIS to be released - it's effectively a Challenger Lite with similar resolution screen (1024x600 - the Challenger is 1024x768) - very nice bright IPS display.
It can also switch between Landscape and Portrait modes but unlike the MX1 you don't need to change firmware to do so.

Unlike the Lite it has 4 RS232 ports available natively and also a built in AOA sensor. There likely will be two versions - a MX2 "Lite" and a version that supports two video inputs for cameras. We also added a USB host connector running at 480Mb/s - not used for anything yet but since we are now using Linux there is a possibility to use this for all sorts...

Custom screen designs are available as per usual - the iEFIS simulator has been extended to support this device.