CHALLENGER Lite problem

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
ktz737

CHALLENGER Lite problem

Post by ktz737 »

Hi everybody

I have a Challenger Lite installed with SP6, SP7, Autopilot Servos RDAC XF, and RDAC CAN for my Injection system.

My plane is an Ultralight Dynaero MCR (all carbon). 135 kt cruise speed, I love it !

Very recently, I upgraded my system with the SP7 and RDAC CAN as I installed the injection kit.

I have some issues, that sometime sappear and sometimes don't. That's the most frustating.

It seems like an unstability of the IEFIS information. For exemple when I power the system up in the hangar, sometimes the coolant Temperature and the Oil temperature are 0, and after a few minutes, one of the 2 shows the right temperature (around 20° C) without any specific action. Sometimes the second one shows up only after engine start and a few heating time.

Yesterday, my IEFIS made me a real danse in the hangar. The pitch was going up and down (plus or minus 20°), the ASI speeded up to 25 kt and even the ground speed showed a irrealistic value !

I thought about a CAN problem, but the ASI and Ground speed are generated directly inside the IEFIS..

I think about a bad ground connection somewhere, but in that case the IEFIS wouln't power up.

If you have any idea...

Thanks a lot

Didier (from France)
rainier
Site Admin

Re: CHALLENGER Lite problem

Post by rainier »

You don't have any issues.

Many of the resistive type sensors will only display once a minimum temperature is reached - below which they will show "0".
Your airspeed sensor should be zero'd once after installation and then usually once per year. You do this in the system setup menu -> Internal sensor setup menu.
ktz737

Post by ktz737 »

Thanks for your answer.

I zero'd the ASI and I have noted about the sensors.
HansLab

Post by HansLab »

Didier, I have a Challenger Lite as well in my RV12. Very happy with it.
Though I cannot find any raster maps for France for it

Stratomaster (MGL FRance) does not react to questions of buying their digital rastermaps, and today I flew to France only to find out the MGL Vector maps are not sufficiently covered with recent data.

What do you use, would you like to help me out, please?

Hans Labruyere

Challenger Lite 2x
PH-MON
rv12.phmon[at]gmail.com
ktz737

Post by ktz737 »

Hi Rainier

I checked and you are right. My temperatures appear after a few seconds when heating. Thanks

Nevertheless, I don't know if it is normal, but I find all the informations a little unstable. For exemple, on the ground, altitude moves up and down all the time plus or minus 10 ft, pitch and bank +/- 0.1 or 0.2°, Heading +/- 1 to 2 degrees. Never motionless. Always moving, with plane in the hangar.
In fact, datas seem not to be filtererd. No idea if it is an issue on my IEFIS.

By the way, I have another issue. There was a post on this, but couln't find it. I have an injection system with RDAC LAD (CAN), so my RPM shows 9001 on the ground. I read that the issue on the HOBBS meter was resolved (hobbs running because of the 9001 RPM), but it is not on mine. Hobbs is active as soon as the ECU is ON with 9001 displayed. My IEFIS is up to date... Maybe a bug in the last update ?

Thanks for your return.

Didier

Hans, I PM you. I have raster maps for France :-)
isidoro

Post by isidoro »

Good afternoon, I also need help with the new LAD-AERO injection system that I am installing on my TL STING CARBON airplane with the Rotax 914 turbo, and in the cockpit the iEFIS MX-1 screen with the RDAC XF and SP6B modules.

I'm a little lost with the installation and I don't know how to see the data from the LAD_AERO ECU on my iEFIS MX-1 screen

According to what I have read, to communicate the LAD-AERO ECU with the iEFIS it is necessary to use the RDAC_CAN-LAD module.

I want to continue using the RDAC_XF especially to make the exhaust probe data visible in the iEFIS and I also want to now make the Ampere consumption visible (I depend 100% on the proper functioning of the electricity production of the Rotax motor itself). I would eliminate the installation of the XF module if this data could be seen with the RDAC CAN-LAD.

-Can my RDAC XF module be used or upgraded to view LAD-AERO data? or it can only be done with the RDAC CAN-LAD

-Where can I buy the RDAC CAN-LAD module from Europe? I have written to support@delta-omega.com and I am still waiting for a response.

-What accessory would be necessary to display the Ampere consumption?

Thank you so much
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

You can usually use an XF together with any other RDAC - your EFIS supports up to 4 RDAC devices - you need to make custom engine monitoring displays for that of course but that is fairly easy to.

The RDAC CAN-LAD firmware is not written by us and we do not have it - it appears to be something that our distributor in France made.

Best regards

Rainier
ktz737

Post by ktz737 »

Hi
Delta Omega is the right address to buy RDAC LAD. Try to call him, He usually answers (more than emails).
I have a RDAC XF + RDAC LAD.
The problem with the RDAC CAN is that some informations are not very stable (never found why as the RDAC CAN just convert the LAD CAN into a MGL CAN).
By the way, impossible to have the F/F decoded, so it is not possible to set a virtual tank.
Delta Omega is working on it...
ktz737

Post by ktz737 »

Hi
I received an update a few weeks ago from Delta Omega. Fuel Flow working fine now ! Thanks

Parameters from the ECU seems still quite unstable, but I think the problem is more ECU side than MGL.

A Kalmann filter should be great in the RDAC LAD to stabilze parameters.