Raster maps

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Diamond

Raster maps

Post by Diamond »

Hello,

I'm Explorer iefis user. I would like to kow if there is an easy way to buy and upload raster maps in the Efis...

It's easy to find electronical charts in different formats : JPG, PDF, ECW, or Mbtiles, but I can't take hours cutting, georeferencing, making tiles etc. on Mapmaker.

I don't have the time to do that. Any solutions ?
hpmicrowave

Re: Raster maps

Post by hpmicrowave »

For USA RAster maps goto here

https://support.michiganavionics.com/po ... se-updates

For other countries there should be other solutions but I not sure where? What country or area doe you need maps for?

I know how to scan in maps and turn them into MGL Raster maps but its an intensive process and I use a $300+ PC program to do the initial Map creation.

Cecil
Diamond

Post by Diamond »

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry, I forget to mention that I'm in france...
PaulSS

Post by PaulSS »

We really need to be able to access the old forum, as there was some excellent stuff on there. One of the best things was an app written by Chris Kurz, called OFM-4-MGL. The app can take Open Street tiles and convert them into a raster map. Even better, for you in France, is the ability to do the same using the Openflight maps, so you get free aviation raster maps. I think the app was hosted on his own server, as I can't find it in Google. There used to be a link to it on the old forum. Perhaps Chris is still around these parts and able to share the app. If not, I do have it on my Windows machine but don't really know how I can share the app......or if that is permitted.
HansLab

Post by HansLab »

It would be nice to be able to upload rastermaps of France. Stratomaster (MGL FRance) does not react to questions of buying thier digital rastermaps, and today I flew to France only to find out the Vector maps are not sufficiently covered with recent data.

Challenger Lite
PH-MON
Diamond

Post by Diamond »

I agree. Mgl france stopped reacting. The guy is alone to do the job and doesn’t have any help from the factory, it’s really a shame
manolo.lezl

Post by manolo.lezl »

PaulSS wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm We really need to be able to access the old forum, as there was some excellent stuff on there. One of the best things was an app written by Chris Kurz, called OFM-4-MGL. The app can take Open Street tiles and convert them into a raster map. Even better, for you in France, is the ability to do the same using the Openflight maps, so you get free aviation raster maps. I think the app was hosted on his own server, as I can't find it in Google. There used to be a link to it on the old forum. Perhaps Chris is still around these parts and able to share the app. If not, I do have it on my Windows machine but don't really know how I can share the app......or if that is permitted.
Hi.

Didn’t know about this OFM-4-MGL app. Would be very interesting to have access to it. I would like to create a raster for Spain based on OSM….

Perhaps the admin can copy/paste that thread from the old forums.
crodri

Post by crodri »

I found the old installer for the OFM-4-MGL app in my computer. I am posting it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11a559F ... sp=sharing

Although from the Map Maker 2 app it is also possible to use "EPSG3857 format maps are available from OpenFlightMaps for most European countries", according to this manual (also posting it here):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Er9jI ... sp=sharing

I'll try to share some European maps if I can do it with Open Street Maps, but if you use other ones, like AirMillion, you'll need to have purchased them, because of copyright issues.

Here's are the Italian maps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QkNFqL ... sp=sharing

Please bear in mind that I am in no way responsible for any inaccuracies or errors in the georeferencing. Treat these as experimental, and give me your feedback so I can post more. In any case, if you find yourelf chased by fighters because you entrer a MIL zone, you are on your own. ;)
manolo.lezl

Post by manolo.lezl »

Thank you very much Crodri.