RPM jumps at high power

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Sputnik

RPM jumps at high power

Post by Sputnik »

I'm running a LYcoming O-320D2B (Bendix mags) and using the magneto spark-counting feature to determine engine RPM. It works fine on the ground, but as I fly and increase speed to get RPM near 2700, the RPM counter starts intermittently jumping to 3300 and back.

I have tried, endlessly, adjusting the sensitivity rheostats. Unfortunately, there's no happy medium; it either won't read at all, or at a slightly higher value it will read this spurious value at high power.
Is there a simple band-pass filter I can insert into the circuit to clean up this input and get a nice power reading? Has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks.
sparxfly

Re: RPM jumps at high power

Post by sparxfly »

I have struck a couple of installs with this problem- some you can fix by tweaking the sensitivity, but I have found the quickest, simplest, most reiable solution is to fit a UMA rotation sensor to the mag body. Aircraft Spruce sell them (10-02432, 10-02433). Rock solid across the rev range.
Stuart
NZ MGL dealer
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Neat, but I don't think that can help me. That unit is 4.5" long, and I don't have that much available between the firewall and the magneto.
sparxfly

Post by sparxfly »

Don't believe that 4.5" long dimension.
The sensor fits in an inspection hole in the side of the magneto body, and will stick out about 1" max including the wiring bend.
10-02432.jpg
10-02432.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
Stuart
NZ MGL dealer