ULPower Fuel Flow

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
peterc12345

ULPower Fuel Flow

Post by peterc12345 »

Hi all.

We have an iEFIS lite Challenger hooked up to the ULPower engine via its ECU and an RDAC CAN ULPower. Everything seems to be reading pretty accurately except for the expected fuel flow.

The MGL install manual says to set the sender type as Turbine, and the K factor to 3500. This seems to give us a fuel flow about double what we expected in cruise.

Have we got the settings wrong, or do we need to calibrate the K factor based on actual V calculated fuel consumption.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Pete.
Diamond

Re: ULPower Fuel Flow

Post by Diamond »

Is you k factor set for liters or gallons ?
adamoconnor

Post by adamoconnor »

peterc12345 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 am Hi all.

We have an iEFIS lite Challenger hooked up to the ULPower engine via its ECU and an RDAC CAN ULPower. Everything seems to be reading pretty accurately except for the expected fuel flow.

The MGL install manual says to set the sender type as Turbine, and the K factor to 3500. This seems to give us a fuel flow about double what we expected in cruise.

Have we got the settings wrong, or do we need to calibrate the K factor based on actual V calculated fuel consumption.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Pete.
Try doubling the K-Factor then observe your results. The manual may be a hold-over from the RDAC CAN for 91XiS engines

Adam
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
peterc12345

Post by peterc12345 »

Thanks guys.

There is no L/G setting that I can see, other than in the global settings.

Hi Adam, we did actually double the K factor, and that pretty much halved the fuel flow as expected. I suppose we can then just keep a log of actual fuel used V calc fuel, and refine the K factor to get reliable readings?

What I was really wondering, is that the turbine setting, which I understand is for inline fuel flow meters, wouldn't seem to be the correct one to use. The ULPower engine is fuel injected, and the signal is coming from the ECU. The engine is not equiped with an inline flow meter as far as we can tell. I would have thought the fuel flow should have been based on injector timings and fuel pressure, much like most modern cars.

The iEFIS has 2 other settings for measuring fuel flow, Injector H and Injector L. I suspect the install manual could be out of date, possibly referring to the Rotax, or an older UL engine? We can just go down the trial and error method for trying to figure it out, but was hoping someone had already done that for us, and we wouldn't need to!

Everyone's opinions are welcome.

Cheers.

Pete.
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

Hi,

I use an ExtremeEFIS with RDAC on an UL-Power engine. I use he settings from the ULPower manual concerning the k factor. The fuel rates are in a reasonable range, but seem to be approx. 20% to high. The reason for this is not clear to me.

Michael