Rotax 915 install: erratic engine parameters

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
desertfox

Rotax 915 install: erratic engine parameters

Post by desertfox »

Wondering if anyone can help me out with my Rotax 915 install in a Kitfox. I'm using a Gen 1 XTreme EFIS (software version 1.36), an RDAC CAN 912is, and a MGL RDAC CAN wiring harness from Midwest Panel Builders, which uses shielded twisted pairs.

I have not started the engine yet, but when applying "start power" or "backup power", the XTreme EFIS indicates expected values (RPM 0, ambient temperatures and manifold pressure) for about 10 seconds, then 9001 RPM asserts and remains, indicating the RDAC isn't receiving data form the ECU, with wild temperatures (-99*F oil/coolant/ambient, 32*F EGTs) and zero manifold pressure.

More clues:
When I only turn Lane 1 on with start or backup power, RPM is stable at "0" with expected ambient coolant temperature and manifold pressure. However, when I only turn Lane 2 on with start or backup power, RPM again indicates 9001 RPM with erratic temperatures and manifold pressure.

I wired Lane 1 CAN LO and Lane 2 CAN LO together between the HIC and the RDAC, and wired the same for CAN HI. I've done continuity checks and measured 60 ohms between CAN Lo and CAN Hi at the RDAC and at the EFIS. I have dip switches 1 and 6 on, per the instructions' "typical connection for a Rotax 912iS engine (single engine aircraft)".

Thanks for looking into my issues. I'd like to get the engine monitoring right before cranking this bad boy up for the first time!

Jonathan
desertfox

Re: Rotax 915 install: erratic engine parameters

Post by desertfox »

Problem solved!

The Kitfox 915 firewall forward kit installation instructions had an incorrect pinout for the HIC Harness B connector. It was using the maintenance pins (14, 15, 16) instead of the display pins (6, 7, 8).

Now the display works great!

Jonathan