MX1 Audio to V16

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
bruceme

MX1 Audio to V16

Post by bruceme »

The audio coming from my MX1 sounds awful. Low volume, very scratchy. It's wired to a V16 Auxialry Input... From the installation documents...

MX1:

The audio output has a low impedance (8 ohms) and is able to drive a small speaker directly.
If your intercom system cannot handle a high-level sound input please use a resistive
divider to lower the level.
[SNIP]
Audio signals may be noisy on certain installations – this tends to be caused by slightly
different grounds between devices – these differences add to the signal. One
easy way to work around this is to use a small 1:1 audio transformer to isolate the grounds.

V16:

One auxiliary input is provided with two gain settings. This allows muting the input to a lower
level (or switching it off) if voice activity is detected on either microphone input. The input is
suitable for mobile phones, MP3 music players, or audio annunciators from EFIS
systems.
[SNIP]
Auxiliary input Gain range -15db to +6db
Maximum input level 2Vpp
The typical level required for normal volume at +6db is 100mVpp.
Input impedance 47KOhm.

Quesion:
I can see the impedance mismatch, but what does all this mean? These are both MGL boxes, how is this typically installed?
LaneRM

Re: MX1 Audio to V16

Post by LaneRM »

I can maybe write a more detailed answer later but for now check this thread and see if it has any helpful info. I suspect it might.

https://www.mglavionics.co.za/phpBB3/vi ... php?t=9072
bruceme

Re: MX1 Audio to V16

Post by bruceme »

Perfect, thank you! Short answer... 10:1 divider seems to work. 10k inline on the V16 side of the node and 1k to ground. An Install manual update would be AWESOME!