A few MX1 quirks

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
LaneRM

A few MX1 quirks

Post by LaneRM »

Now that I've had some time to fly this MX1 around, I see some "quirks" that I'd like to fix. The EFIS is totally usable, but it's not working at 100%. I'd like to fix that.

1. The attitude indicator is incredibly sensitive. In flight it seems pretty reliable, but on the ground it almost always has me in a roll to the left or right. I'm in a slow, day VFR airplane so it's not really a safety issue but I sure would like to fix it.

2. The slip indicator has a mind of its own. Sitting stationary on the ground and even with the engine off, it shows the airplane as uncoordinated and it wobbles back and forth. It's unusable.

3. My VSI is way, way off. Like 500-1000 fpm off. My airspeed and altitude seem to be pretty accurate.

4. When I go to lookup my nearest airports, it shows me airports that are about 150nm away. I type in an airport ID and it select that and everything works from there, but I'd like to not have to type everything in.

5. Traffic. I've got a Trig transponder and an SP12 for ADSB. I know I'm broadcasting because I can look up my flights on Flightaware, but I never am shown traffic. I know there's traffic around because my stratux is connected and my iPad shows contacts.

Anyone know any fixes to this stuff?
brs

Re: A few MX1 quirks

Post by brs »

Lane,

Traffic: Sounds like we have a very similar setup. In order to get traffic on the MX1 you'll need to run a serial pair from the Stratux to the MX1 (ADSB-in). I'll repost my info about that if I can find it -been awhile.

Attitude indicator: Mine tumbles in flight. Very distracting when this happens on climb out. My solution was to create a screen without the artificial horizon. Down side, the traffic needs the Artificial Horizon screen to display traffic. Though I believe traffic shows on the maps as well.

VSI: My vsi is waaay optimistic as is yours. Not unusual to see 1500 fpm in a sonex with 85 hp. I've not tried to verify it's accuracy yet.
brs

Re: A few MX1 quirks (Traffic)

Post by brs »

Here is the link, I believe, that I used for getting serial out of the Stratux...

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/ ... ial-Output

This thread might be of help on the other (MGL) end...

https://mglavionics.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=117
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

brs wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:58 pm Lane,

Traffic: Sounds like we have a very similar setup. In order to get traffic on the MX1 you'll need to run a serial pair from the Stratux to the MX1 (ADSB-in). I'll repost my info about that if I can find it -been awhile.

Attitude indicator: Mine tumbles in flight. Very distracting when this happens on climb out. My solution was to create a screen without the artificial horizon. Down side, the traffic needs the Artificial Horizon screen to display traffic. Though I believe traffic shows on the maps as well.

VSI: My vsi is waaay optimistic as is yours. Not unusual to see 1500 fpm in a sonex with 85 hp. I've not tried to verify it's accuracy yet.
I was thinking that the Trig and the SP12 made a function ADSB in and out combo. If that's not the case, I'm happy with just using Foreflight for traffic.
LaneRM

Post by LaneRM »

Are you using an external AHRS or the one built into the MX1? Is your panel isolated from vibration in any way? What version of the software are you using?

Ranier, would version matter? Have different versions changed AHRS/slip/VSI behavior?
andynoiseboy

Post by andynoiseboy »

I don't have much to offer by way of help since I have yet to fly with my MX1 (aircraft about to be inspected after storage/upgrades).
But, on the ground, the attitude indicator has been stable - no sign of erronious roll. Mine is in portrait with V12 (I think) firmware. I'll try updating to V16 shortly and see if anything changes.
I recall reading that earlier MX1s had an issue with AHRS in landscape - could it be that?
https://www.mglavionics.co.za/phpBB3/vi ... cape#p1300

This is all worrying since my main criteria for buying an MX1 was to have a horizon.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

LaneRM wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:13 am Now that I've had some time to fly this MX1 around, I see some "quirks" that I'd like to fix. The EFIS is totally usable, but it's not working at 100%. I'd like to fix that.

1. The attitude indicator is incredibly sensitive. In flight it seems pretty reliable, but on the ground it almost always has me in a roll to the left or right. I'm in a slow, day VFR airplane so it's not really a safety issue but I sure would like to fix it.
Setup AHRS sensor menu allows you to remove minor bank and pitch deviations after installations - note: even just a 1 degree bank is very noticeable on the screen. Use a spirit level.
2. The slip indicator has a mind of its own. Sitting stationary on the ground and even with the engine off, it shows the airplane as uncoordinated and it wobbles back and forth. It's unusable.
That is not normal. Have you tried "level the accelerometer" in the AHRS setup (do that will any bank or pitch correction removed) and make sure the panel is really vertical (screen) and level (i.e. no bank - use a spirit level).
3. My VSI is way, way off. Like 500-1000 fpm off. My airspeed and altitude seem to be pretty accurate.
There is a calibration for the VSI in the "Internal sensor setup menu". It should be quite accurate if this is set to 100%. If you set it to 50% for example it will halve the rate shown.
4. When I go to lookup my nearest airports, it shows me airports that are about 150nm away. I type in an airport ID and it select that and everything works from there, but I'd like to not have to type everything in.
it will only show waypoints that are marked as airports this way.
5. Traffic. I've got a Trig transponder and an SP12 for ADSB. I know I'm broadcasting because I can look up my flights on Flightaware, but I never am shown traffic. I know there's traffic around because my stratux is connected and my iPad shows contacts.
A transponder does not receive traffic. For that you need an ADS-B receiver. I you are flying in an area with 978Mhz UAT coverage (U.S. and Europe mostly) then you need a receiver for that - or a 978Mhz ADS-B transceiver.
To receive other mode-s squitter transmissions directly - you need a 1090Mhz ADS-B receiver. Some devices like the Stratux and our not yet released receiver can do both.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

rainier wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:36 am There is a calibration for the VSI in the "Internal sensor setup menu". It should be quite accurate if this is set to 100%. If you set it to 50% for example it will halve the rate shown.
This still does not have any impact to the VSI.
VSI is about factor 2 to high.
VSI in TE or not, factor changed from 100 to 50 and whatever.

No change.
pfhoeycfi

Post by pfhoeycfi »

My MX VSI reads a little less than double the ASV1 which is reading correct. But my MX1 is reading the correct airspeed (GPS PEC calibrated), whereas the ASV1 airspeed is only good at approx 70 mph...can't dial them in the same. Fortunately the altimeters are reasonably close. Its frustrating...

peter
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

pfhoeycfi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:46 pm Its frustrating...
it absolutely is.

Especially when you see the Discovery light was just working perfect in all those things the MX1 is troublesome.