Xtreme keeps shutting off and on by itself??

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Whitcombe

Xtreme keeps shutting off and on by itself??

Post by Whitcombe »

Fellow MGL flyers.....my Xtreme EFIS had recently been switching off then back on again in flight by itself with the time between on - off getting shorter over a few minutes till it's down to less than a second. It then sits flashing on - off - on - off over and over again. Was doing it before and after I updated the firmware to 2.07...any help/ideas???

Cheers
rainier
Site Admin

Re: Xtreme keeps shutting off and on by itself??

Post by rainier »

That really does sound like a power supply issue ?
Bad connector somewhere - connector at the back loose ?
Whitcombe

Post by Whitcombe »

The MGL unit shuts off and back on by itself even when the engine isn't running and no one is in the cockpit or touching the aircraft. Eventually it just sits there flashing on-off-on-off etc etc. Its also stopped detecting satelites on switch-on outside....it just sits there statign 'acquiring'. Getting to the point it'll be swapped out with a different EFIS if I can't get it fixed :-(
Whitcombe

Post by Whitcombe »

It seems I've found the fault....after changing the internal CR2032 battery, setting the internal RTC time and date and after countless switching it on and off it was a faulty GPS aerial cable with a break in it somewhere. It seems that if you watch the satellite page during initial power-on it sits there trying to acquire satellites but fails. The unit then reboots over and over again till it basically just flashes on and off until you switch it off. Robbed a standard GPS aerial from my van's radio/satnav unit and it now acquires the sat's within seconds, AHRS aligns and all happy when flying.

Just count myself lucky I had a spare aerial (£5 to replace on Ebay) to test my theory before the expense of sending the unit back to MGL in the USA for checking out....Phew :-)

No more instrumentless landings but good practice anyway :-)