Enigma map and Hobbs hrs fail

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
robstrike2

Enigma map and Hobbs hrs fail

Post by robstrike2 »

Hi all,
My Enigma EFIS map has failed and Hobbs is reading zero hours. Maybe SD card read issue?? Both main card and a backup created a couple of years ago invoke a "SD card Mounted" message after bootup or card insertion, but no map nor Hobbs hr total. Map had been infrequently intermittent some time ago. Not sure if Hobbs hrs is stored on SD card such that a card read fault is probable???
Any help will be appreciated
Regards,
Rob Stewart
P&M QuikR trike
Victoria, Australia
JimJab

Re: Enigma map and Hobbs hrs fail

Post by JimJab »

Go through your EFIS menu system and find the heading Time Setup or something similar, enter new Date and time, then go into the Hobbs Meter setting and enter your hours, make sure you press enter and save your changes. Look at the Hobbs meter and the hours you entered should be shown.

Then turn off your EFIS for period of time and restart your EFIS, if the Date, Time and Hours are zero out, the most likely cause will be the button battery that supplies the power to your EFIS's memory will be flat and it needs replacing. For my Voyager EFIS you replace this battery every two years via the back of the EFIS.

Cheers
JimJab
Last edited by JimJab on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Older MGL units
robstrike2

Post by robstrike2 »

Thanks JimJab for your reply.
I had suspected CR2032 backup battery as a possible issue.
I have now replaced it and Hobbs, time settings, etc are now retained during power off.
However, the Vector map is still not displaying. The file (VMAP.evd) is still resident on the Enigma SD card, and I have also tried overwriting it with a backed up copy without any success. Airport locations etc are still displayed on screen, but on a "blank" background. So it seems that the system is not referencing or loading the map data. I suspect something to do with backup battery fail, as the loss of map display was coincident with tim, hobbs etc loss.
Regards,
Rob
JimJab

Post by JimJab »

Well I have a bit of time tonight, so reading the forum.

Rob, it's been a while since you posted this, so I am guessing you may have sorted your map issue.
I don't think the CR2032 backup battery going flat will have caused your maps not to load.

But I would be checking that your map files are on the your "Solid State Disk" by using the EFIS File Manager Menu, check which type of maps you have selected in the menu system, adjusting the map zoom right out so you can see the world map and where your plane's current GPS position is.

Cheers
JimJab
Older MGL units
oregon-sonex

Post by oregon-sonex »

Hey Rob, I had the same issue with my Enigma. CR2032 expired and I lost Hobbs and VMAPS. I replaced the battery, got the Hobbs restored but have been unable to restore the VMAPS. I have tried reloading them with no success. What did you end up doing to solve the problem?
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

The currently selected map type (raster or vector), last known GPS position, map zoom and other map related settings like what items to draw on vector map (terrain, roads, rivers, airspace types etc) are all stored in battery backed RAM. So check those settings in your map menu and make sure you have a GPS position fix and your should be able to get your maps back.