iEFIS touch screen no longer works

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
klh8324

iEFIS touch screen no longer works

Post by klh8324 »

I have two G3 iEFIS panels. I upgraded the firmware on both now the touchscreen does not work on one of them. The soft buttons still work. I cannot find anything in the menu structure to re-enable the touchscreen. Anyone have any ideas?
hpmicrowave

Re: iEFIS touch screen no longer works

Post by hpmicrowave »

If it's a Software problem then you need to get a copy of the working EFIS memory card and put it in the problem EFIS.

My recommendation would be to first contact Adam at MGL avionics USA and ask him

Or remove and copy the internal SD memory card from the working iEfis and then test it in the problem iEFIS (you have to open it up to remove this card) to copy it. I think it's best to make an exact "memory image" of the card (I don't think just a copy paste will work). There are several free programs and instructions online as to how to do this. It's slow but pretty much automatic. Rainier also has instructions on his web site on how to rebuild from scratch an internal memory card, but this might be a little harder.

Cecil
jelder

Post by jelder »

I updated the firmware (1.1.2.1) on my system today and I am having the same issue, i.e. the touchscreen on my right panel is not responding. It stopped responding when I updated the left panel, but I have also updated the right panel. Do I just need to copy the image from the left screen to the right screen or do I need to do a complete rebuild?

JIm
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Are both panels using the same touch system ?
We changed to capacitive panels a while ago. The resistive panels we used before require a small amount of force to register (and they have the touch screen calibration menu). The capacitive panels react to the slightest touch (much like a smart phone) and do not have a calibration menu.
jelder

Post by jelder »

Hi Rainier

I will not be able to confirm until Wednesday when I can go to my hangar but I do believe my primary screen on the pilot side is the newer type and the right panel is the older style. When I purchased my Sling about 4 months ago The Airplane Factory swapped out the left screen as it was not very responsive and one of the physical buttons wasn’t working. Is this going to be a problem? Will I be able to run the same image on both screens or will I need to run different Setup files on each. Will I be able to get the Gateway to send traffic to both panels?

Thank you for your support.

Jim
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

OK, normally the only known issue is if you have a newer panel with the capacitive screen and load older firmware on it (from before this was introduced) then the newer screen will not work as it does not have the required drivers for the capacitive screen.
However newer firmware runs on both old and new screens - it detects which type is installed on power up.

I have not come across a case yet where the current software does not handle both types of touch panels. But tell me your configuration exactly (i.e. panel type, lite or full version and also EFIS type) so I can set up the exact same system here and see what gives.
jelder

Post by jelder »

Hi Rainier,

I was able to copy the setup file from my left panel to my right panel and then recalibrate the right touch screen and it seems to be working. Initially, I believe before I copied the setup over, I was not able to recalibrate the screen. I was getting an error on the right screen saying something like "too hard of touch force, could damage panel". It was almost as if the screen was registering a touch without any contact. I tried loosening the mounting screws and resetting the panel as I am wondering if somehow it was getting some type of tortional pressure from when I remounted the panel after installing the gateway. I am not sure if it was that or the new setup file that fixed it?

Additionally the traffic reporting from the Wifi Gateway is now working on both screens! I have seen this asked elsewhere in the forum, but is there anyway to change the size/color of the traffic triangles?

Thanks again for your excellent support.

Jim
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Yes indeed - you can change the traffic indicators.

That is done in your Traffic monitoring setup menu. Last item - 6 options in total.
Note this was added a few months ago so older versions of the firmware do not have that option.
jelder

Post by jelder »

The Wifi gateway is working great now on both panels, and I did find the setting to change the size of the traffic markers. It is a really nice upgrade to have the traffic on both panels in addition to the iPad!

The only problem I have now is that the touchscreen on the co-pilot side is very finicky. Sometimes it works and sometimes it is completely unresponsive. I have tried recalibrating it (when it is working) and that does not seem to fix the problem. I occasionally see a red box pop up that says something to the effect of "Touch pressure is too high, could damage panel". Not sure if that is the exact message. So my question is, have you seen anything like this? Is the panel just going bad? If so, is it possible to replace just the screen or would I need to replace the entire iEfis box? If just the panel, is that something I could do or would I need to send in to have it serviced?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks again for your help.
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

Just loosen the 4 corner screws holding your panel. These older touch screens have two glass surfaces that are really close together (just microns) - if the casing is warped a bit your touch screen can get very weird. In some areas the spacing increases and others it decreases. The increased areas become insensitive while the close spaced areas become overly sensitive.