V16 com1/com2 switch on digital input

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
Edwin

V16 com1/com2 switch on digital input

Post by Edwin »

Hello,

I have a system with 2x V16 radios, 2x Vega control heads (very nice and clear!), challenger efis, and an A16 intercom. I would like to add in a manual com1/com2 flip switch on a digital input, such that the A16 still routes the audio and PTT to the correct radio. I think the COM1/2 switch can now only be done from within an efis menu. But it seems the digital inputs can only be assigned to a fixed range of pre-programmed functionalities, com switch is not one of them. Is it possible what I want to do? Or could this maybe added to the list of digital input functions ;) ?

Cheers,
Edwin
adamoconnor

Re: V16 com1/com2 switch on digital input

Post by adamoconnor »

Edwin,

I'm not 100% clear on what you are asking, but is it safe to assume that you are looking to have a switch that changes you from com 1 to com 2? Or are you looking for a switch that does frequency flip on the radio you are presently talking on?

Adam
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

Hi Adam,

I would like to employ an external switch that can switch between COM1 and COM2, routed via a digital input on the extender box, such that the A16 intercom (which is controlled via the efis) still routes the audio and PTT to the right COM box. I can do that COM1/2 switch in the EFIS now of course, but that is a little too convoluted for my liking. So basically i would need to be able to point a digital input to the COM switch functionality. In the documentation there is only a limited list of functions that digital inputs can do, COM switch is not one of them (I think).

Best regards,
Edwin
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

That is a good idea. Consider it done.
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

Awesome! Thanks Rainier, the configurability and client contact is what sets MGL apart.
Cheers,
Edwin
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

Rainier, two small questions
1) Could I please ask for a 'autopilot active' external digital output function? This is so I can connect a clear indicator on the panel. I use the autopilot a lot, it works a treat!
2) You have implemented the external COM switch as a momentary push button which toggles between com1/2 every time you push it. That would be OK with an external indication so I can see which one is active, but the EFIS does not provide that other than in the radio control panel which is what I would like to avoid as I have two external VEGA heads for clarity. On the panel I have a toggle switch, up position is COM1, down position is COM2. Could you implement a digital input like that with a next FW update? 1 = COM1, 0 = COM2. (or the other way around whichever is the easiest for you).

Thanks very much,
Edwin (NZ)
Tasmag

Post by Tasmag »

Edwin wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:50 pm On the panel I have a toggle switch, up position is COM1, down position is COM2. Could you implement a digital input like that with the next FW update? 1 = COM1, 0 = COM2. (or the other way around whichever is the easiest for you).
Exactly what I am after as well.

Mike