RDAC XF and RDAC ULP

Post here anything related to the MGL EFIS systems
Forum rules
Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. No politics or discussions of a controversial nature not related to our favorite subject of flying and avionics. Offending posts may be removed or moderated.
PH-MNX

RDAC XF and RDAC ULP

Post by PH-MNX »

Hi,

Does anyone have successfully connected BOTH the RDAC XF and RDAC ULP.
My RDAC XF seemed to work, but now I have the RDAC ULP working and it seems the RDAC XF is not working anymore.
Observation: the led on the RDAC XF seems to flash fast.

Cheers,
Marcel
rainier
Site Admin

Re: RDAC XF and RDAC ULP

Post by rainier »

The idea is to use the ULP RDAC in its default settings which makes it RDAC number 1.

If you want to use a second RDAC you must configure it as RDAC 2 using the dipswitches (restart the RDAC after you changed - the switches are read on startup only).

Once you do that they can coexist. In most cases you use the RDAC XF to give you EGT channels which are missing from the ULP ECU unless you fitted the somewhat expensive EGT option from ULP (in that case the EGT information comes through on the ULP RDAC and you don't have to do anything).

You now need to do a minor alteration to your engine screen file - using the screen designer simply change the data source for your EGT readouts from RDAC 1 to RDAC 2. That is all you need to do here.

In the system setup - under Engine setup menu - allow two RDAC devices. Now you have a second set of setups dedicated to RDAC 2.

The EFIS supports up to 4 RDACs.
PH-MNX

Post by PH-MNX »

Thanks Rainier for the info, that's very helpfull.

I own an MGL Xtreme EFIS and EMS, but the simlator does NOT have a screen design mode.
Is there other software I didn't find yet, to design the screen?

Thanks,

Marcel
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

OK sorry - I was not aware you are using an XTreme.
Good news it is possible. Here is how:

XTreme EMS:
Connect ULP via serial port and use RDAC on CAN

XTreme EFIS:
Version 9.00 14/09/2020
--------------------------------------
Hardcoded UL Power RDAC to address 2 so we can use the normal RDAC for TC and MAP
So that means you need to open the ULP RDAC and select the dipswitch so it becomes RDAC 2.

As per manual: Switch 1 and 3 ON.
adamoconnor

Post by adamoconnor »

rainier wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 am OK sorry - I was not aware you are using an XTreme.
Good news it is possible. Here is how:

XTreme EMS:
Connect ULP via serial port and use RDAC on CAN

XTreme EFIS:
Version 9.00 14/09/2020
--------------------------------------
Hardcoded UL Power RDAC to address 2 so we can use the normal RDAC for TC and MAP
So that means you need to open the ULP RDAC and select the dipswitch so it becomes RDAC 2.

As per manual: Switch 1 and 3 ON.
Is the same available on XTreme EFIS/EMS for Rotax 912/915iS engines? We are desperate to get Rotor RPM via an RDAC XG with XTreme on iS engines.
Adam O'Connor
Michigan Avionics
MGL USA Sales and Support
PH-MNX

Post by PH-MNX »

With version 9.0, you mean 2.03 EFIS Firmware (it has the correct date)?

Could you help me with the address of the RDAC (CAN) number in the Firmware of EFIS and EMS for the different measures, than I can modify the Firmware to set the correct RDAC (CAN) number for each value.

Cheers,

Marcel
rainier
Site Admin

Post by rainier »

You set the addresses on the RDAC using the switches.
You do not set addresses in the EFIS.
PH-MNX

Post by PH-MNX »

Hi Rainier,

If I understand you correctly, to use both RDAG ULP and RDAC XF on XTreme EFIS and EMS, I have to do the following:
- Set RDAC ULP to (CAN) address 2 (switch 1 and 3 on, what about vwitch 6?)
- Set RDAC XF to (CAN) address 1 (switch 1 and 2 off)
- Connect RDAC ULP and RDAC XF both via CAN BUS to XTreme EFIS (loaded with firmware 2.03)
- Connect RDAC ULP directly via RS232 to XTreme EMS
- Connect RDAC XF via CAN bus to XTreme EMS

Is this correct?